Sign in to follow this  
ElmiraTelegram

Tops Market In Elmira To Close

Tops Market, location South Main Street in Elmira, is one of ten stores across New York State that will be closed, according to a statement by the company earlier today. 

In addition to the Elmira store, locations in Rochester, Syracuse, Geneva, and Saranac Lake are also due to close. The closures are scheduled to be complete by the end of November, and will affect approximately 600 employees, according to the company. Tops says they will work with those affected employees to find alternative positions within the company. 

Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 2.03.20 PM.png

All other locations will continue to operate. 

"We are pleased to continue serving our communities with existing locations that are all in close proximity to the affected stores and providing the same great service, value, and convenience that our customers expect from us," said Tops CEO Frank Curci.

The company, which opened its first store in 1962, filed for bankruptcy in February, citing locations saturated with other grocery stores, inappropriate store sizes or locations with above-market rent among the reasons.  

Chris    479
9 minutes ago, Mary said:

I'm surprised it was South Main and not Cedar St.

Me too. Although I'm glad, I've been doing our shopping at Cedar Street since I took over that duty. 

Mary    109

I read somewhere that theft could also be a factor- when there are so many repeated thefts that drives costs up. It will be an eyesore for that plaza, as it appears the City has been making some improvements on other store front facades on South Main. Just when the train appears to be moving forward, off falls the locomotive.

KRSullivan    83

I notice that a certain candidate for county executive brags everytime an announcement is made bringing business to Elmira but is silent when one leaves.

• Like 1

Hal    142
1 hour ago, Spiff said:

Bed bath and beyond in Big Flats is closing as well. 

Anything move into the brew store that moved ? 

Spiff    34
18 hours ago, Hal said:

Anything move into the brew store that moved ? 

I dont believe so

Chris    479

You don't suppose the daily shoplifting that occurs there has anything to do with it, do you?

Nahhh...