Sign in to follow this  
ElmiraTelegram

Robbie Nichols Reveals New Hockey Team Name And Logo

At a press conference held yesterday afternoon, team owner Robbie Nichols announced the name of Elmira's new Federal Hockey League team would be "The Elmira Enforcers". 

Screen Shot 2018-08-03 at 8.13.32 AM.png

The name was one of 10 possibilities. Nichols says he chose the name because he is a fan of law enforcement as well as the number of police and corrections officers in the area. The logo was designed by Nichols' daughter, Witley. 

Nichols also announced the head coaching job would go to Brent Clarke, who last season coached the Danville Dashers. 

The Enforcers' first game will be Friday October 26th at 8:05 pm against Clarke's former team the Danville Dashers in Illinois. 

Mary    90

I wish him the best, I give him credit for trying to get things going down there and investing his own money to do so. I do hope he brings other events and opportunities to the Arena besides hockey, to utilize it year round.  A lot of negative comments on Facebook last night about the name and logo. I do think it is relevant to the area given the number of LEO's who live here. I understand that it gives a negative perception that law are bullies, yet if looking at it as support of law enforcement, I think it works.

From a hockey perspective, let's be honest, fans like fights and brawls.

The logo got some flack, (village people), and it does look like Robbie with an exaggerated fumanchu. I don't love it, but it could have potential. I think it is the font and color of the words that I don't like, it seems simple, like it was designed in publisher or something.

Al the folks knocking it should have a solution, if they don't have a solution, they become part of the problem.

Chris    421

I'm on the fence about it, especially taking Elmira's reputation as a prison town into consideration. But it's his team, he's footing the bill. People would do well to remember that. 

KReed    156

As long as the county is done "investing" tax money into it, I'm happy with however any independent private businessman want to spend his own money and market his product!

• Like 2

Mark    109
Posted (edited)

I look forward the new team and owner.  It will be fun to watch what Robbie can do with the team and arena without being under Afr's thumb.  He certainly has done a great job with the Pioneers baseball team, given that they aren't even affiliated with the professional ranks (think way way back when the Pioneers were affiliated with the Baltimore Orioles and how popular baseball was here then!).

I'm sure you all remember all the naysayers who hated the negative connotations of the "Jackals" name back when that was new.  In the end, the name was embraced by most fans and they had a lovable mascot in "Blade" (although Blade actually looked way more like a playful Malamute than a nasty ol' Jackal).  I can't imagine what they will have for a mascot now.  Perhaps Blade wearing a badge and sporting a nightstick.  Depends on Robbie's budget I guess ...

I have no doubt that Robbie's new team will do well.  Elmira is a hockey town, and has been for the last 45 years, ever since Elmira College took to the new ice at the MAC with their first men's team.  While we had a professional level drought here last year, it was nice seeing the return of fans to watch the men's and women's games at the Domes.  The men's team was very young last year, nearly all freshmen.  It took them half the season to gel, but by mid-season they were on par with the rest of the teams in their conference.  Given that nearly all of them are returning, I expect them to play at Division III national contender level this year.  As for the women's team entering their 18th season, what can we expect?  Well, they only finished second in the nation last year under their new coach Tim Crowley, so that bodes well.  In just 17 years the 3-time national champion EC Women's team have made it to the NCAA national tournament 14 times, finishing 3rd or better in the nation on 10 occasions.  So expect that trend to continue this year ...

Edited by Mark