Sign in to follow this  
ElmiraTelegram

Bicyclist Struck By Car In Elmira

Elmira police are investigating a crash that occurred at approximately 9:25 PM Thursday evening. 

Officers from the Elmira Police Department responded to the intersection of E. Water St. and Madison Av. for a report of a car versus pedestrian crash.  Responding officers observed that a bicyclist had been struck in the intersection.  The bicyclist was conscious and alert when police arrived on scene.

The Elmira Fire Department and Erway Ambulance responded to the scene to treat the injured person.  The bicyclist suffered a serious leg injury and was transported to a hospital for treatment.

Several witnesses were identified and interviewed.  The investigation into this crash determined that the vehicle was traveling west on E. Water St. and was preparing to turn south onto the Madison Avenue bridge.  The vehicle had the green arrow to turn south.  The bicyclist, traveling north across the bridge, entered the intersection against a steady red signal and was struck by the vehicle as the vehicle began to enter the intersection.  

At this time, police are not releasing the name of the driver or the bicyclist. The incident is still under investigation. 

The Elmira Police Department is asking any witnesses or anyone with information regarding this incident to contact the Elmira Police Department at (607)737-5626, or the tip line at (607)271-HALT.

Chris    523

The way people walk and bike right out into traffic without looking, I'm surprised this doesn't happen daily. 

Hal    146

Guess the cyclist needs to be ticketed ! 

KReed    213
7 hours ago, Chris said:

The way people walk and bike right out into traffic without looking, I'm surprised this doesn't happen daily. 

It certainly is annoying that whenever tax money is spent on a "share the road campaign".....the messages all seemed to be aimed at motorists and rarely give public reminders to cyclists of the rules they are required to follow. And often seeing their violations being performed right in front of LEO, without consequence, makes me a little angry.

Against traffic, helmet-less, on the sidewalk, against traffic signals....have even seen a baby being towed in a stroller while they break other traffic laws.

It really is a wonder it collisions aren't more frequent....and wonder why rules for them are so rarely enforced.

Chris    523

A couple years I had a kid on a bike come out of nowhere, wrong way and on the sidewalk in the "business district". Goes flying over my hood. I ask if he's okay, he gives me a bunch of lip so I assume is is and call 911. 

The amount of witnesses that appeared out of thin air to claim I ran the stop sign was nothing short of miraculous. 

Cop arrives, asks me what happened. Fortunately I had a city fire dept. vehicle ahead of me. So I told him to call and verify "6--" just left. That's all he needed to hear and shortly thereafter said I was free to go.

But I hadnt thought to do that, I wonder what the outcome would have been. All those "witnesses" so ready and willing to blame the driver and not the dumb ass that caused the accident to begin with. 

Anyway...