Sign in to follow this  
ElmiraTelegram

Gov. Cuomo Releases Report Recommending Statewide Marijuana Legalization

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State of Department of Health last week officially released a long-awaited report investigating the impact of legalizing recreational marijuana statewide. The 75-page report, commissioned by Cuomo in January, recommended statewide legalization, concluding that its benefits would far outweigh any negative consequences.

For the impact assessment, researchers examined the implications of legalization in surrounding jurisdictions. The review assessed the likely public health, criminal justice, public safety, economic, and educational impacts of a regulated marijuana program.

The report observed that legalization would offer tax benefits, provide health benefits to some, and reduce arrests of minority residents who are disproportionately affected by police enforcement.

“We are pleased that the Governor and the State Department of Health have fully studied the existing evidence and accurately concluded that legalizing marijuana for adult use is the right choice for New York,” said Chris Alexander, Policy Coordinator for the Drug Policy Alliance. “Marijuana prohibition has devastated our communities, saddled hundreds of thousands with criminal records, acted as an easily accessible tool for racially biased policing, and stunted the opportunities for entire generations of mostly New Yorker’s of color.”

Cuomo, who had been hesitant in the past to call for legalization, embraced the report’s findings and conclusions.

“The situation on marijuana is changing,” Cuomo told reporters. “Now you have to answer specifics. Who sells it? Where do they sell it? What quantity can you sell? That to me, the devil’s in the details. And to come up with a full program, that’s what we have to answer.”

Read more at https://news.medicalmarijuanainc.com/ny-gov-marijuana-legalization/

Chris    419

If there's a way to regulate and tax something, New York will find it, have no fear. 

I wonder what, if any, effect this will have on the medical marijuana dispensaries already in business. That stuff is pretty pricey, and if someone can get regular pot much cheaper, it could throw a wrench in their works. 

KReed    156
1 hour ago, ElmiraTelegram said:

Who sells it? Where do they sell it? What quantity can you sell?

Equally  (or more) relevant questions might be: Who can posses it? Where can they posses it? What quantity can you posses? 

I'd think there would need to be some measurement that would distinguish between personal and quantities that indicate production/resale (where the taxes and regulations kick in).

It's a plant that people can pretty easily grow/produce their own supply - whether for medicinal or recreational purposes. Would it be illegal to own a plant to produce your own (thus avoiding taxable transactions)?

If you can have a plant...can you grow it in your yard, at your own risk for theft? Or would they need to be secured indoors? 

Spiff    28
7 hours ago, KReed said:

Equally  (or more) relevant questions might be: Who can posses it? Where can they posses it? What quantity can you posses? 

I'd think there would need to be some measurement that would distinguish between personal and quantities that indicate production/resale (where the taxes and regulations kick in).

It's a plant that people can pretty easily grow/produce their own supply - whether for medicinal or recreational purposes. Would it be illegal to own a plant to produce your own (thus avoiding taxable transactions)?

If you can have a plant...can you grow it in your yard, at your own risk for theft? Or would they need to be secured indoors? 

Some of the other state regulations are personal possession up to 1 ounce. Im not sure on exact numbers here but i believe up to 5 mature plants and a just a few immature plants at 1 time. You will have to be 21 to buy. I have not seen any particulars on personal gardens.

Ibjamie    1
8 hours ago, Chris said:

If there's a way to regulate and tax something, New York will find it, have no fear. 

I wonder what, if any, effect this will have on the medical marijuana dispensaries already in business. That stuff is pretty pricey, and if someone can get regular pot much cheaper, it could throw a wrench in their works. 

I'm shocked by this, but like you said, if it will genrate more tax revenue....