Sign in to follow this  
ElmiraTelegram

Police Investigating Fatal One Car, Pedestrian Accident In Chemung

Horseheads State Police are investigating a fatal one-car, pedestrian motor vehicle accident that occurred in the Town Of Chemung.

The accident occurred on July 17, 2018 at approximately 9:30 PM on County Route 60 in the Town of Chemung. According to police, the preliminary Investigation revealed that the victim, 15 year-old Xanadu Rumsey was walking westbound on County Route 60, when she was struck from behind by a passing westbound vehicle.

Rumsey was transported to Robert Packer Hospital where she was pronounced deceased. Investigation is ongoing at this time.

The State Police were assisted by the Chemung Fire Department at the scene. Investigators are asking anyone on County Route 60 who witnessed two people walking around 9:30pm to call SP Horseheads at 607-739-8797.

Mark    109

Walking on the wrong side of the road in the dark is never a good idea.  Very tragic story.

KReed    156

Since no information on the vehicle or driver has been mentioned, does that imply that they left the scene after striking this young lady? 

Adam    3

thought i read somewhere that she was walking with father and someone caught the driver at tomasso's?

KReed    156

If they stopped as the law says, a note that they're either cooperating (or facing possible charges, etc) would be expected (even if not naming them). If they didn't stop and/or haven't been identified, it seems like any description of the vehicle and a BOLO would be in order. 

Sadly, it may just be poor reporting - there's an epidemic of that in mainstream media around here:$

WETM did say her dad was with her, but the report I caught didn't mention the driver at all. Just a weird follow-up dialogue where the anchor asked the reporter (who interviewed the grandmother) how the grandmother "felt" and when she'd talked the girl. 

KReed    156

OK...WETMs facebook posted an "update" to their linked story:

this is not a "hit and run" as they first thought. The 19- year-old driver thought he hit a deer, and when he realized it was not, he returned to the scene. Police say they are not revealing the drivers name, because no charges have been filed at this time. Police are still awaiting the results from the accident reconstruction team. 

However...the my twin tiers headline still reads: "15-year-old killed following hit and run"

You'd think they'd correct that.

Chris    421

I wondered the same, KReed, but NYSP isn't always easy to get information from, especially follow up questions. 

Chris    421
6 hours ago, Mark said:

Walking on the wrong side of the road in the dark is never a good idea.  Very tragic story.

A couple years ago, a local farmers wife stopped me one day and gave me holy Hell for walking on the wrong side of the road. She threatened to "kick me in the slats" if she ever saw me doing so again.

Now, I don't know exactly where my "slats" are located, but it sounds painful. Since I know she meant it, ( and just cares ) I haven't done so since.