Sign in to follow this  
ElmiraTelegram

Reed Discusses Rural Broadband Access With Empire Access

Rep. Tom Reed (NY-23) recently spoke with leaders at Empire Access to discuss broadband accessibility in our rural communities. 

"It was my pleasure to meet with the fourth-generation of owners at Empire Access who are stimulating our economy by providing quality internet service to their customers," said Reed. "We care about the advancement of broadband infrastructure and making the regulations fair for our friends and neighbors in the Southern Tier, Finger Lakes and Western New York regions.”

“As a fourth-generation family owned business, we are committed to providing exceptional service and support to our customers” said Brian Wagner, President and CEO of Empire Access. “Our company is focused on expanding state-of-the-art fiber optic Internet service to homes and businesses in Upstate New York and Northern Pennsylvania.”

Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 12.01.22 PM.png

Empire Access has 110 employees and are growing their company rapidly. By December 2018, they are projected to have 1,200 miles of fiber network.

Both the House and Senate versions of the Farm Bill include improvements to broadband access such as:

• Invests more than $500 million in rural broadband expansion and infrastructure. This follows more than $600 million being invested in rural broadband in the 2018 Omnibus earlier this year.
  •  It extends and increases funding for existing broadband deployment loan programs.
  •  The Bill authorizes loans for ‘middle-mile’ broadband infrastructure.  This is vital to building up broadband infrastructure in rural areas.
  •  The Innovative Broadband Advancement Program: the bill creates a new grant program to finance new broadband programs.
  •  Establishes new minimum acceptable standards for broadband service to ensure that rural internet service is truly high-speed

Adam    3

It was my pleasure to meet with the fourth-generation of owners at Empire Access who are stimulating our economy by providing quality internet service to their customers," said Reed. "We care about the advancement of broadband infrastructure and making the regulations fair for our friends and neighbors in the Southern Tier, Finger Lakes and Western New York regions.”

Nice sound bite but perhaps if he spoke to folks actually in rural areas he would find that it is an uphill battle to get anywhere. it has been at least 4-5 years of emails,petitions phone calls and weight throwing to get some attention to our area....many companies say they wont come out to rural areas because there is no money in it. Some politicians like to call attention to the fiber backbone between chemung and steuben Counties...real nice except the "rural" areas served are Hhds Big Flats and Corning...area with plenty of services already.

Should have stopped by a provider ACTUALLY working with a rural area such as Haefele TV is

KReed    126
On 7/12/2018 at 12:01 PM, ElmiraTelegram said:

Invests more than $500 million in rural broadband expansion and infrastructure. This follows more than $600 million being invested in rural broadband in the 2018 Omnibus earlier this year.

More than $1.1 billion dollars. Billion. And that doesn't the half a billion in that Cuomo invested from NYS funds. 

While a part of me certainly feels like it's "our turn" to benefit from the tax  dollars we're paying...I'm still not comfortable with the concept that government should be using tax money to prop up private service providers.

I think I'd rather keep all those billions that are allocated for everyone else's benefit and use my own savings to buy my own gaddam internet at a fair market value - which I understand comes at a higher price since I live in a less densely populated area.