ElmiraTelegram

Fatal Motorcycle Crash In Horseheads

Just before 6:00 pm on Tuesday evening, the Horseheads Fire Department and Police Department responded to a motor vehicle accident at the intersection of Westinghouse Road and Westlake Street. When first responders arrived they found the collision involved a car and motorcycle. Police say both the driver and the passenger of the motorcycle were transported to local hospital but died. 

The driver of the car, 18 year old Caden Charnetski of Elmira has been charged with Operating A Motor Vehicle While Abilities Impaired By Drugs. Police say the investigation is ongoing and additional charges pending as blood test results and accident reconstruction is completes. 

This morning police have identified the deceased. 43 year old Mathew J. Matteson of Elmira was transported to Arnot Ogden Medical Center where he was pronounced dead. His passenger, 42 year old Harolyn W. Matteson was taken to Robert Packer Hospital in Sayre where she was pronounced dead. 

In addition to the Horseheads Police and Fire, Elmira Heights Police, New York State Police, Chemung County Sheriff's Department, Chemung County District Attorney's Office, Chemung County Medical Examiner's Office and Erway Ambulance were on scene to assist. 

Police ask that anyone who witnessed the crash or may have additional information contact the Horseheads Police Department at 607-739-5669

Chris    482
31 minutes ago, KarenK said:

WETM just released the names. This is heartbreaking.  

Story has been edited to add new information. We must have crossed signals. 

KReed    201

I have to say I am confused and dismayed at the 6 o'clock news coverage. I'd have thought this was a more worthy story to lead with than the Arena's future hockey plans.

And when they did get to this fatality....the entire story dedicated to the "hero" that commemorated the crash today.

They made no mention of the victims names. They also noted the charges that the driver faces - again with out identifying the accused. But two stories later, as they went to commercial break, they flashed a mytwintiers.com ad that featured the headline that the victims have been identified. 

:$

• Like 1

Andy    15

The comments on the news's Facebook pages are disgusting. The bloodlust some people have is disturbing. The driver made a horrible mistake that he's gonna live with for  the rest of his life. Terrible tragedy for all involved.

Chris    482
13 minutes ago, KReed said:

I have to say I am confused and dismayed at the 6 o'clock news coverage. I'd have thought this was a more worthy story to lead with than the Arena's future hockey plans.

And when they did get to this fatality....the entire story dedicated to the "hero" that commemorated the crash today.

They made no mention of the victims names. They also noted the charges that the driver faces - again with out identifying the accused. But two stories later, as they went to commercial break, they flashed a mytwintiers.com ad that featured the headline that the victims have been identified. 

:$

Yeah, that was rather weird. 

Mark    126

I still don't understand how some random guy standing all day by the side of the road with a flag is a "hero".  That was a pretty lousy news story.