Sign in to follow this  
ElmiraTelegram

Car Found In Chemung River Boat Launch In Wellsburg

Police are investigating what caused an Elmira man's car to end up in the Chemung River this morning.

Police say at 7:17 a.m., the Chemung County Communication Center received a 911 call of a report of a vehicle in the Chemung River located at the Lowman Crossover boat launch in the Village of Wellsburg.

Law enforcement personnel from the Chemung County Sheriff’s Office and New York State Police responded to investigate.

First responding officers located a 1998 Chevrolet, tan, 4-door sedan floating in the river directly across from the boat launch entrance and approximately 
40 yards from shore. Upon arrival of law enforcement, the entire vehicle, with the exception of the trunk, was submerged underwater. Members of the Wellsburg Volunteer Fire Department also arrived and First Responders entered the water to ascertain if there were any 
occupants of the vehicle. Due to the water conditions, they were unable to determine whether or not somebody was still in the vehicle. 

Members of the Elmira Fire Department were requested and had responded as well and divers from the Wellsburg and Elmira Fire Department arrived on scene and began recovery operations of the vehicle from the river. During this time, they were able to ascertain that there 
was one sole occupant of the vehicle and with the assistance of Rinwalske Towing, the vehicle was removed from the river.

The occupant, identified as 72 year old  George K. Crowe, of Elmira was removed from the vehicle and immediate medical attention was provided. Crowe 
was transported to Robert Packer Hospital for further treatment. He was pronounced dead shortly after his arrival to the hospital. 

At this time the Chemung County Sheriff’s Office is continuing its investigation into why 
CROWE’s vehicle entered the water. Anyone with any information about this incident is asked to contact the Chemung County Sheriff’s Office Criminal Investigation Division at 607-737-2933.

The Sheriff’s Office was assisted at the scene by the New York State Police, Wellsburg Volunteer Fire Department, Elmira Fire Department, and Erway Ambulance.

Chris    391

Not hard to imagine he accidentally drove down the access road and ended up in the river

Mark    107
1 hour ago, Chris said:

Not hard to imagine he accidentally drove down the access road and ended up in the river

Especially if he was using the same friggin' Tom Tom I have ...

KReed    130
9 hours ago, Mark said:

Especially if he was using the same friggin' Tom Tom I have ...

It's frightening how many people rely on those things exclusively. My previous was certain I was in the water and GPS emphatically tried to get me to leap off 15 over the Tioga/Hammond dam.

"Return to the hightlighted route!" 

"Return to the hightlighted route!" 

• Like 1