Election Results
  • Chemung County Executive Race: Chris Moss (R) 55% Jerome Emanuel (Dem) 29% Krusen (I) 16%
  • 1st District: Pastrick (R) 57% Pucci (Dem) 43%
  • 2nd District: Manchester (R) 69% Saglibene (Con) 30%
  • 3rd District: Sweet (R) 53% Lynch (Dem) 40%
  • 4th District: Brennan (R) 64% Bond (Dem) 35%
  • 5th District: Margeson (R) 64% Stow (Dem) 20% Miller 15% (I)
  • 7th District: Sonsire (Dem) 63% Milliken (R) 36%
  • 8th District: Woodard (R) 58% Callas (Dem) 41%
  • 9th District: Burin (R) 74% Fairchild (I) 25%
  • 12th District: McCarthy (Dem) 50% Collins (R) 45%
  • 13th District: Drake (R) 65% Logan-Lattimore (Dem) 34%
  • 14th District: Smith (R) 68% Heyward (Dem) 31%
ElmiraTelegram

Dr Stephen Coleman Enters County Executive Race

ElmiraTelegram    109

A fourth candidate has stepped forward in the race for Chemung County Executive. 

Screen Shot 2018-06-22 at 10.37.46 PM.png

Dr Stephen Coleman, Academic Vice President and Dean of Faculty at Elmira College will officially announce his candidacy for County Executive on June 28th at 10:30 am at the Clemens Center in Elmira. 

Residents of the Twin Tiers know Coleman as a regular political analyst on WETM as well as for his political discussion events held locally. 

Chris    604

Please... PUH-LEAZE tell me he is running under the "Hurricane Party"

Screen Shot 2018-06-22 at 10.54.45 PM.png

• Like 1

KReed    252

I’m still somewhat dazed over Christina Bruner-Sonsire's enlightening blog a few months ago that noted the “brief” history of the Chemung County charter…..and the small faction of entrenched politicians who have dominated county government since its inception.

Considering the economic downturn and social stagnation this county charter model has perpetuated in its 44-year tenure, I do believe it’s time for a change…and have been hoping that a ‘revolution’ of sorts, rejecting the “old boy” clique and electing new blood, might be the solution.

However, I find myself wondering more and more if the entire Executive/legislature structure has proven to be a failed experiment that needs to be dissolved.

The growing group of (many solid) candidates for legislature seats could easily run for supervisor/mayor of their respective town or village and effect the change and leadership through the old model that served Chemung County well for generations and grew it into a booming community before this charter was adopted.

Sure…we have all had it drilled into our heads that we had prosperity until Agnes devastated our area in 1972. We’ve been indoctrinated to “know” that the flood was the cause of all the insurmountable woes that the County government has valiantly tried to remediate for the last four plus decades.

But somehow the previous “Board of Supervisors” government model managed to successfully recover and bring Chemung County back from natural disaster. That prosperity we enjoyed before 1972…..was occurring under the old model a mere 26 years after the "insurmountable" devastation of the 1946 flood.

We have given the new model a couple of extra decades to figure it out. The situation has deteriorated instead of improving.

• Like 4

Hal    158

Thank You for putting that out there KReed ! It Has been drilled into our heads since 1972 that Agnes ruined the area . But Corning got hit by the same flood and just look at the difference ! Question , do they (Corning ) have the same type Executive / legislative model as Chemung ? At any rate I believe it’s time to retire , no ... high time to retire the good ole gang ( at least most of them ) plus thier heavy handed leader . 

Hal    158

Oh yeah , I’m not getting popcorn for this election night .... nope this is going to be a full blown sheet pizza with all the extras baby !! 

KReed    252
1 hour ago, Hal said:

But Corning got hit by the same flood and just look at the difference ! Question , do they (Corning ) have the same type Executive / legislative model as Chemung ?

According to the detailed citations that Christina included in her Brief History Of The Chemung County Legislature blog, the answer is "no".

On January 1, 1974, Chemung County residents voted to adopt a county charter, replacing the board of supervisors with a county executive and a 15-seat legislature. In doing so, Chemung County became one of 17 (out of 62) counties in New York to operate under a charter. Two additional counties subsequently adopted charters, bringing the total number of “charter counties” to 19.

Steuben is not one of the handful of counties that  New York’s Division of Local Government Services lists as a "chartered" county. In fact, few of the other counties on the list are places I'd want to live. Most are metro area and represent some of the highest tax burdens in the state.

image.png.761c727b74d9ce7c53477560cbb50e5f.png

• Like 2