ElmiraTelegram

Plans For Elmira's Lake Street Pedestrian Bridge Revealed

Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 4.29.37 PM.png

Plans were revealed for the Lake Street bridge rehabilitation program at a meeting held last night in Elmira. 

The $2.9 million project will rehabilitate the currently closed bridge and turn it into a bicycle/ pedestrian bridge which will connect the north and south sides of Elmira as well as Brand Park and the Lackawana Trail. The renovated bridge will be a gathering place for community events, concerts, and other public use. 

Upgrades for the rehabilitation project include:

• Seating
  • Stage area 
  • Improved lighting
  • Kids' Play Space and Equipment
  • Shade canopy
  • Additional green space and planting

Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 4.29.45 PM.png

The project team, in conjunction with neighboring businesses, has narrowed the design down to one concept plan. The plan was conceived by Labella and Trowbridge Wolf Michaels agencies. If all goes to plan, construction of the new pedestrian bridge is slated to begin in 2020. 

Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 4.29.52 PM.png

Chris    391

The slideshow mentioned there wasn't any funding for bridge demolition. I wonder what demolition would cost vs this project?

KarenK    34

Not sure how I feel about this.  I guess if the new 100 Water St building is completed and apartments, business and brewery all open according to plan this neighborhood could really pick up. That would make the pedestrian bridge a plus and a selling point for tenants there.

I've heard folks criticize the one in Corning however I see a lot of use out of that bridge when I happen to be in town from time to time.

Hal    109
4 hours ago, Chris said:

The slideshow mentioned there wasn't any funding for bridge demolition. I wonder what demolition would cost vs this project?

Thought I heard the news person say around three million for a demolition and the renovation would be much less . 

Chris    391
1 hour ago, KarenK said:

Not sure how I feel about this.  I guess if the new 100 Water St building is completed and apartments, business and brewery all open according to plan this neighborhood could really pick up. That would make the pedestrian bridge a plus and a selling point for tenants there.

I've heard folks criticize the one in Corning however I see a lot of use out of that bridge when I happen to be in town from time to time.

That's how I feel about it too. I guess if there's people living and working right there it'll get used. I would probably enjoy lunch while watching for waterfowl and maybe the occasional eagle. 

Maybe it's that we've been so long with there not being a significant number of people there day to day it's hard to see it. 

I don't know, I guess we'll find out. 

Chris    391
1 hour ago, KarenK said:

That's how I feel about it too. I guess if there's people living and working right there it'll get used. I would probably enjoy lunch while watching for waterfowl and maybe the occasional eagle. 

Maybe it's that we've been so long with there not being a significant number of people there day to day it's hard to see it. 

I don't know, I guess we'll find out. 

Jane    2
Posted (edited)

Not sure about this,, all the business on the South end are gone land is now part of Howells.

So this is the bridge to nowhere,

now we have a roundabout that the bids are to high so that is on hold.  Could we see the same with this project? 

Edited by Jane
Left out word
  • Like 1