Sign in to follow this  
ElmiraTelegram

County Releases Broadband Survey Results

In the summer of 2017 Chemung County contracted ECC Technologies, Inc. to conduct an online broadband assessment survey to determine the residences and businesses within the county who continue to struggle with poor access to Internet services, with a particular focus on broadband availability.

Despite Chemung being one of the original three counties to build the SouthernTier Network, a not-for-profit, 550+ mile, Open Access dark fiber network, operating in the seven counties in the Southern Tier of New York State, the county has continued to lag behind many more urbanized counties in regards to access to the internet at speeds the FCC defines as “broadband” (25Mbps down x 3Mbps up).

Chemung lags even farther behind New York State’s definition of true broadband at speeds of 100Mpbs download speeds, though the State has amended those speeds to reflect 25Mbps download as “broadband” for rural areas. Work on the project began in August 2017, with the online survey launching in October.

The survey received nearly 1,300 responses and this week the county released the results of that survey. To view the results, go to https://www.chemungcountyny.gov/IT/Chemung County BAAT Report 05242018.pdf

Chris    339

The dismal number of responses from the rural areas that actually need it most reflects, I think, the aging population in those areas. At least to a degree. 

"I don't use it." or, "I'm on a fixed income." ( as if the rest of us had money trees growing in our yards. )

Why do you think less young, working families are moving to the rural areas, hm?

Hal    93

I’m on a fixed income and not all that savvy ( despite touting to Mark that I have “mad” computer skills ) but I sure would love to be able to jump down that rabbit hole I get to see one mile down the road when visiting you Chris ! I could dump DISH and not look back . 

Mark    99

LOL ... You know, there's a fix for "mad" computer skills:

image.jpg

• Haha 1

Hal    93

BWAHAA ... LMAO ! Can’t believe I missed that one Doctor Mark ! 😂 I still wish I had a picture of that ...

So for those being a bit curious about this exchange . I was recently in the hospital for two , yes two extended stays for cellulitis and strep infection . Now it gets personal from here but it’s integral to the post . The cellulitis was on , well ... me bum , yup a right pain in the arse it was too . So I had these two visitors show up as I was exiting the bathroom with all the tubes , lines and baggage in tow , the wife says to me “ you have visitors “ ... the giggles and snickers should have tipped me off . So me being in isolation these two had to wear yellow gowns , gloves and masks and there they were in all their glory looking like two rejects from med school ... a cheap med school . Mark snapping his rubber gloves menacingly like a practicing Proctologist and Nurse Rachet JimK still trying to get the yellow gown over his Carhart jacket ... what a pair , what a sight . Gave me some laughs I really needed at the time ... Thanks guys ! 

A bit off topic I know but dang I still wish I could have gotten a pic of these guys in that get up ! 

• Like 1