Sign in to follow this  
ElmiraTelegram

Horseheads Police Warns Public Of Phone Scams

In a press release issued earlier this morning, Horseheads police chief Thomas  Stickler issued a warning to the public in regards to phone scams that have been reported over the last few weeks. 

Many of the calls have been from someone identifying themselves as NYSEG or from Apple customer support. The callers claiming to be from NYSEG are telling residents they have an outstanding bill. The callers portraying themselves as from Apple are telling residents there is an issue with their iCloud account.

When receiving a call from someone claiming to be from NYSEG, Stickler advises to hang up and call NYSEG directly. He also knows that Apple will never call a user directly. He advises residents to hang up immediately and to never give personal information to those calling.

According to Chief Stickler the elderly are particularly vulnerable to these types of calls and are often targeted. Family members are encouraged to have a discussion with them to make sure the know how to handle these types of calls. 

Mahatma    11

Been getting them all day from Hawaii.  got ine while typing this out. Lol

KReed    217

Today I started getting calls from a number that says "Owego"....but is a robocall claiming to be my hacked Google account

Mark    130

I've been getting a bunch of calls from National Healthcare advertising health plans available in my area including Blue Cross/Blue Shield and others.  Caller ID lists calls as coming from a number of States.  Last time I got a call, I pressed whatever number to speak to a rep.  I got some fellow trying to disguise his accent.  So I asked him "Before we get started, where are you calling from?"  He gets defensive and asks me where I am calling from.  He's clearly a Pakastani by accent, and easily agitated.  So I tell him that this is not how it works, because I asked him first where HE was calling from.  He gets pissed at me, curses and hangs up.  So it is definitely some kind of scam.