Sign in to follow this  
ElmiraTelegram

Furman Announces Run For County Treasurer

Republican Jennifer Furman today announced her candidacy in this year’s election for Chemung County Treasurer. She currently serves as Deputy County Treasurer and brings more than 20 years of practical experience in finance and administration to the role.

“I’m running for County Treasurer because the people of Chemung County need a strong fiscal watchdog to account for how every cent of taxpayer money is spent,” said Furman, 47. “My 11 years in the Treasurer’s Office and two decades of experience in budgeting, auditing, accounting and management have prepared me well for the challenges that the County Treasurer faces every day.”

Furman has served as the Deputy County Treasurer since 2007 and previously served as Director of Administrative Services for the Department of Social Services and as Fiscal Manager for the Mental Health Division. Prior to joining Chemung County Government, she worked in the private sector in public accounting as an associate for KPMG in Albany. She has also served as Treasurer of the Elmira Water Board.

Screen Shot 2018-05-18 at 7.23.59 AM.png

Furman’s candidacy was immediately endorsed by Chemung County Republican Chairman Rodney Strange, who said, “"I'm proud to strongly endorse Jennifer Furman for Chemung County Treasurer. She has the right combination of experience and new ideas to lead this critical office for years to come."

Born and raised in Chemung County, Furman attended Hendy Avenue Grade School, Ernie Davis Jr. High School and Elmira Free Academy High School. She earned a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting from the Binghamton University School of Management and a Master’s Degree in Community Service Administration from Alfred University.

“I love Chemung County. It’s been my home for almost my entire life. I’m asking the voters of our community for their support this fall so I can put my experience and new ideas to work as County Treasurer,” added Furman.

A longtime Republican who serves as the volunteer Treasurer for the Chemung County Republican Committee, Furman lives in Elmira with her husband, Mike, who retired after 25 years of service with the NYS Department of Corrections and now works for Allied Universal.

This seat is open for election this year following current County Treasurer Joe Sartori’s recent announcement that he will retire at the end of his term.