ElmiraTelegram.com
ElmiraTelegram

Write In Candidate Declared Ineligible In Town Of Baldwin

A write in candidate for the position of Justice of the Peace in the Town Of Baldwin has been deemed ineligible according to the town's attorney.

At the town's monthly board meeting, attorney Tum Bocek advised that the county Board of Elections indicated the candidate was not a resident of the town and therefore could not hold office according to public law. 

Bocek explained that if the candidate were to sit on the bench, any judgments made would end up being thrown out.

Tha candidate, who was not named, receieved 12 write in votes according to preliminary election results released in November. 

Going forward, the town board will have to decide if they will appoint someone to the seat or continue with shared services as they have done since the death of Hon. Mary Jane Buchanan in 2016.

Hal    37

Ummm , Thanks for that Kevin my friend ! But I only have x amount of heartbeats left and I have made a decision just this last week not to waste them on Town buisness !! 

Chris    103

My initial reaction to this was to make some kind of statement about people not understanding how local elections work. 

However I then remembered the article from 50-60 years ago I found about a town politician who ran for re-election a year early. 

Hal    37

How many voters showed up or was it an odd year election and he got confused ? 

Chris    103

I'l have to look, but as I recall he went through the whole process then learned after it wasn't even necessary.