ElmiraTelegram.com
Sign in to follow this  
ElmiraTelegram

Southern Tier Awarded $67.3M For Economic Development

The Southern Tier got another financial shot in the arm this morning. 

At the 2017 Regional Economic Development (REDC ) Awards held this morning in Albany, Governor Andrew Cuomo split up about $750 million among 10 economic regions across the state. Cuomo awarded the Southern Tier $67.3M for the region. Additionally, the Finger Lakes Region was awarded $63.9M and Central NY $86.4M

The awards target economic development throughout the state.

"New York is more business friendly than ever before. Period," the governor said. 

• Like 1

Mary    38

Not  sure if this is related to the article in the paper on Sunday about the money Watkins Glen was awarded, but I find it refreshing that the Village asked the residents what they wanted to see done with the money, rather than telling them what they were going to spend the funds on in the future.

Chris    101

Unless they had an insider telling them something, that money is separate from what was announced today.

Ann    14

I thought I heard on the news tonight that some of this money was going to be used to build a cheese plant in Painted Post.  Didn’t a Kraft Plant close in that area?  Isn’t there a cheese plant in Waverly?  Doesn’t make sense to me.

KRSullivan    5

I don't think they've left yet. But it's not going to be long. The Co-op is going to take over and run everything. But I don't think they will make Kraft cheese anymore. I'm pretty sure they will do what Waverly does, make cheese for many different brands.