Sign in to follow this  
ElmiraTelegram

Beloved Humor Writer Patrick McManus Dies At Age 84

Patrick F. McManus, the New York Times best-selling author of books such as “Real Ponies Don’t Go Oink!” and “The Night the Bear Ate Goombaw,” died on Wednesday in Spokane. He was 84.

Patrick Francis McManus was born on Aug. 25, 1933, and grew up along the banks of Sand Creek outside Sandpoint. His father died when he was 6, leaving his mother, a school teacher, to raise him and his older sister. In interviews over the years, he spoke glowingly of his childhood as one where he would spend hours outdoors. His family may not have had a lot of money, but there was time and freedom to explore the world. 

Screen Shot 2018-04-15 at 10.39.55 AM.png

“I had a wonderful time as a child growing up,” he told Sandpoint Magazine in 1995. “I was down by the creek all the time and had all this freedom, running around all these mountains. (His friend) Vern and I took off one time and wandered around those mountains for a week. That’s not a bad way to grow up.”

As a humor columnist, he mined his own life for his stories, creating a beloved cast of characters based on people he knew from his childhood, guys like Rancid Crabtree and Crazy Eddie Muldoon, a dog named Strange, and even his sister, Patricia the Troll.

McManus published two dozen books, and sold roughly 6 million copies, in his lengthy career. Several of those books were collections of his magazine humor columns, but he also wrote novels.

Read the rest at http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/apr/13/beloved-humor-writer-patrick-mcmanus-dies-age-84/

Hal    76

Pat McManus ... you introduced me to his writings many years ago  , what a sense of life humor I could relate to . I had forgotten about him with his all his buddies and their antics . With all your wandering and creeek walking I’m surprised you didn’t take your writing in that direction . Looks like time for some rereading ! Rancid Crabtree ... 😆

Chris    233

He was probably my first "favorite author" and there's no doubt he influence my sense of humor. Maybe even a little bit of how I write. 

I have a baker's dozen of his books just to the left of me here and looks like there's at least one or two I haven't read. Gonna have to remedy that.