Sign in to follow this  
ElmiraTelegram

Bathroom Hand Dryers Spraying Poop On Your Hands, Study Finds

A recent study found bathroom hand dryers are pretty gross.

A study by the scientists at the University of Connecticut found hand dryers in men's and women’s bathrooms blew bacteria onto hands including fecal matter.

The study, published in the Applied and Environmental Microbiology Journal, stated scientists came to the conclusion after they placed data-gathering plates under hand dryers at 36 bathrooms on the University of Connecticut’s campus.

The researchers said they placed the plates under the dryers for about 30 seconds and found “between 18 and 60 different colonies of bacteria on each plate.”

See ( gag ) the rest at http://www.foxnews.com/health/2018/04/14/bathroom-hand-dryers-spraying-poop-on-your-hands-study-finds.html

Chris    233

Those things are a joke anyway. You wash your hands, dry them, and then get them dirty on the door handle after 10 other people who didn't wash their hands. 

Give me good old paper towels that I can touch the door handle with. 

• Like 1

KReed    46

A lot of doors push...or can be grabbed with a paper towel. But these have always grossed me out. 

I don't know what kind alleged research was ever conducted for them to be touted as "sanitary" for decades. Unless everyone's hands are sterilized first, there is no way that warm, moist air is not making it worse by dispersing and cultivating bacteria.  

• Like 1

KReed    46
10 hours ago, Chris said:

Even the push doors, I'll use an elbow. Otherwise, I'm grabbing the handle with the per towel.

That's what I meant, the pushers eliminate the need to touch anything with your hand...and the offset doorway with no doors at all are especially nice - no touching to enter or exit. 

The "environmentally friendly" ones that have a pull door and only have the blower and no paper towels to dry hands or open the door are the worst. The Purell in my purse will have to cover.

Edited by KReed