Sign in to follow this  
ElmiraTelegram

Trump Administration Wants To Decide What Food SNAP Recipients Will Get

The proposal is included in the Trump administration budget request for fiscal year 2019. It would require approval from Congress.

Under the proposal, which was announced Monday, low-income Americans who receive at least $90 a month — just over 80 percent of all SNAP recipients — would get about half of their benefits in the form of a "USDA Foods package." The package was described in the budget as consisting of "shelf-stable milk, ready to eat cereals, pasta, peanut butter, beans and canned fruit and vegetables." The boxes would not include fresh fruits or vegetables.

Currently, SNAP beneficiaries get money loaded onto an EBT card they can use to buy what they want as long as it falls under the guidelines. The administration says the move is a "cost-effective approach" with "no loss in food benefits to participants."

The USDA believes that state governments will be able to deliver this food at much less cost than SNAP recipients currently pay for food at retail stores — thus reducing the overall cost of the SNAP program by $129 billion over the next 10 years.

Read the rest at https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/02/12/585130274/trump-administration-wants-to-decide-what-food-snap-recipients-will-get

Chris    233

I know there is some outcry about this, and I don't get it. Isn't this exactly what they did 30 years ago?

We survived. 

Hell, that cheese was better than anything you can buy now!

KReed    50
17 minutes ago, ElmiraTelegram said:

The package was described in the budget as consisting of "shelf-stable milk, ready to eat cereals, pasta, peanut butter, beans and canned fruit and vegetables." The boxes would not include fresh fruits or vegetables.

Maybe it's just me, but when NPR makes the above statement.....do the "quotes" seem to give the impression that is exactly what the packages would be limited to?  

In an article that had room for 18 paragraphs (most of which are dedicated to opponents of the plan)......I just can't grasp why they feel the need to edit the actual subject matter to leave out the preceding qualifiers and abridge the list of foods. 

a USDA Foods package, which would include items such as shelf-stable milk, ready to eat cereals, pasta, peanut butter, beans and canned fruit, vegetables, and meat, poultry or fish.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/msar-fy2019.pdf

Chris    233

Because "Trump=Bad"? Even though the food would be perfectly healthy and probably better than what some are eating now.

Nothing infuriates me more than seeing articles like this and then seeing someone flashing the EBT card for a sub and other goodies at the local Dandy. Hardly an efficient or healthy use our our money. 

KReed    50

I agree. Even if those that are purchasing those staples are paying retail (and often convenience store 300% markup) for products the USDA can distribute at wholesale cost.

I have long believed that SNAP pretty much amounts to a welfare subsidy to corporate food retailers. 

And it may be picking nits.....but no where in the proposal's wording ("include items such as") does it list items that would be specifically excluded. So saying that "The boxes would not include fresh fruits or vegetables" is speculation at best, if not a straight-up fabrication. 

Hal    77

30 years ago I was three months employed when they went on strike . Between my in laws ( FILworked same place ) with 5 daughters and the wife and our 3 boys we ate leftovers made from tomato sauce for a week before I sucked it up and went to get help from the County . They said if I wanted help for the family I would have to leave them as I would be “sanctioned “ , Would have to sell my car , and cash in my life insurance ! Telling them to shove their “assistance “ and Food Stamps I left the building and went for a walk ... a long walk ! My how things have changed since then , food banks where you drive up , they give you a box of food and off you , they go and rechargeable food cards WTH  aka EBT ! Use this card , go buy steaks , soda , etc and sell that for pennies on the dollar to buy smokes and other goodies on the list , nice scam ! We were on strike 13 weeks , yes we ate cheese , it came from a relative , and yes it Did taste good . Union benefits from dues came through 2 weeks later at 100.00 a month ... $1.00 more than food stamps from the stinkin County from whom I have never taken a penny . Rant over ! But guess you can tell what my opinion is on the whole Government controlled boxed food thing , in two words ... ‘bout time ! 

Chris    233
5 minutes ago, Hal said:

We were on strike 13 weeks , yes we ate cheese , it came from a relative , and yes it did taste good.

I don't know where it came from, but I also recall canned pork and peanut butter along with that cheese. All of it good. 

Point is, it was perfectly good food. To suggest that we go back to some of those food items is somehow wrong or terrible to do is obvious ignorance. 

Hal    77
2 minutes ago, Chris said:

I don't know where it came from, but I also recall canned pork and peanut butter along with that cheese. All of it good. 

Point is, it was perfectly good food. To suggest that we go back to some of those food items is somehow wrong or terrible to do is obvious ignorance. 

LOL , pretty much my point ( roundabout way of making it I know ) as a kid I ate lots of “ surplus “ food at times ! Obviously I didn’t starve ! 9_9. And KReed , I agree with what you say about EBT subsidizing retail markets ! 

Chris    233

Just stick that tuna noodle casserole where the sun don't shine. 

Bleah!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mark    77

Oh, this just got even better:

Trump Signs Order Requiring Recipients of Federal Aid to Work

The order gave all departments 90 days to produce plans that impose work requirements on able-bodied aid recipients and block ineligible immigrants from receiving receiving aid, while drafting "a list of recommended regulatory and policy changes" to push recipients off the rolls and into jobs.

About damn time ...

• Like 3

Chris    233

And yet, I suspect New York will pass more emergency legislation to not comply.