Sign in to follow this  
ElmiraTelegram

PA School Wants To Arm Students With Rocks To Protect Them Against Active Shooters

Schools nationwide are debating President Trump’s call to arm teachers and security guards with guns – while one Pennsylvania school is getting attention for its last line of defense.

Blue Mountain School District Superintendent David Helsel made headlines recently after testifying to lawmakers at the state capitol that his students could be armed with rocks in case of an active shooter lockdown.

“Every classroom has been equipped with a five-gallon bucket of river stone,” Helsel told lawmakers. “If an armed intruder attempts to gain entrance into any of our classrooms, they will face a classroom full students armed with rocks and they will be stoned.”

See the rest at http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/23/pennsylvania-school-wants-to-arm-students-with-rocks-to-protect-them-against-active-shooters.html

Hal    76

“ they will face a classroom full of students armed with rocks ... and they will be stoned “ ? Want to think that one over for a second ? I mean ... the way it reads . 9_9

• Like 2

Mark    77

Rocks.  Mankind's first weapon.  Cain killed Abel with a stone.  What's next?  Spears?  Slings? Trebuchet?

Just think, if you're in lockdown in music class, you could hurl a large flaming piano at an attacker with a trebuchet!  We've got a ways to go before our classroom technology catches up to an AR-15 for defense, but DAMN! (see below)

Hal    76

LOL problem is Mark , it’s a single shot trebuchet . On top of that there’s usually just one piano in the music room  , so the rocks thrown by stoned students is still the better choice . Of course then there’s the Kevlar loose leaf notebook as a backup ! 

Mary    70

I know a local teacher who has this in her room.

If the perp got hit with ten rocks at a time, it might be enough to have him drop the gun, or drop himself...I don't know- rather than being armed with nothing- it's something.

Hal    76

One small rock brought down Goliath ! But the best solution I have seen is the device a young man designed and fabricated to block and lock the door . Simple and cheap ... 

Chris    233

I think if we're looking to actually protect kids while they're in school, we have to get serious, actually get tough outside of some peoples' comfort zones. 

Making a place "gun free" screams "easy target" and needs to end. I'm not saying we have to arm every teacher in every classroom. But damnit, if there's a few teachers in each school with CCW permits that can prove themselves proficient with their gun, I have absolutely NO problem with that in my kids' classroom. 

All this other crap is a band aid, more feel good BS that accomplishes nothing while the blood runs down the hallway.