Spiff

Sample This BBQ

Spiff    13

Tried out the new bbq place on Old Ithaca Rd in the old Mustang Sally building. Decided to go with the 2 meat plate which was 13.99 and came with 2 sides. I went with Briskit and pulled pork with beans and mac and cheese.  I was pretty excited to try it as the reviews ive seen were all very positive,mine will not be.

The mac and cheese: No flavor what so ever very bland.

The Beans: fresh from the can

The pulled pork: very slimy and wet like it was made in a crock pot and left soaking in juice definitely not smoked before hand honestly just not good.

The Briskit:  again very meh the portion I got was very fatty I didn't get to eat much meat.

The portions on the sides was good however the meat portion was lacking and to me not worth the $$

Usually I will photograph my food but it would have not been a very pleasing picture. I was pretty disappointed and honestly only kept eating it because I was hungry. I did share with a co worker who had the same opinion of the meal. 

Overall the meal would have been decent for a bar putting it out as a lunch special not a place that specializes in BBQ.

Now for some positive: The staff was very friendly I was greeted at the door with a smile and a hello. They do serve family style and the sides when eating in are all you can eat.

They also do serve an all you can eat breakfast that I will give a shot one of these days.

KarenK    28

Well that is disappointing to hear.  You are a bit of an expert on this.  We will give it a try.  I tend to wait until a new place has been open a while before trying to let them work out the kinks.

Hopefully this was just a bad day.  Really sad it sucked.

Chris    233
52 minutes ago, KarenK said:

I tend to wait until a new place has been open a while before trying to let them work out the kinks.

That's what I was thinking too. I never go to a new place as soon as they open. 

Hal    76

Ruh roh , a bad review from a man that knows a good “Q” ... But yeah hopefully they can work  out the problem areas ! 

Spiff    13
On 3/23/2018 at 10:32 PM, KarenK said:

Well that is disappointing to hear.  You are a bit of an expert on this.  We will give it a try.  I tend to wait until a new place has been open a while before trying to let them work out the kinks.

Hopefully this was just a bad day.  Really sad it sucked.

Usually I do wait a while but I was asked to come and try it out.

Mary    70

I heard the beans are straight from the can. I heard the mac and cheese is good if you get it fresh cooked. I had heard good things about the brisket. I guess the breakfast is supposed to be great.

What I don't get is, Sample This BBQ, Big Phat Daddy's BBQ, Virgil's at Tioga Downs, 2 in Corning, and now Don Lewis' BBQ in the mall- I mean how many bbq places can one town/county handle?

Ann    20

Dare I say this.......I don't like BBQ.  Must be a defective gene lol

KReed    50
2 hours ago, Mary said:

I heard the beans are straight from the can. I heard the mac and cheese is good if you get it fresh cooked. I had heard good things about the brisket. I guess the breakfast is supposed to be great.

What I don't get is, Sample This BBQ, Big Phat Daddy's BBQ, Virgil's at Tioga Downs, 2 in Corning, and now Don Lewis' BBQ in the mall- I mean how many bbq places can one town/county handle?

I saw this and had to c&p what I said to Karen's comment in another thread about the new "Hometown Teams BBQ" at the mall....

Agreed.....the market seems saturated in this area.

Although I have to say, locally good bbq joints aren't as plentiful as bbq places in general. We have Burke's (when and where you can track them down) and Fat Jack's in Ithaca...and I've heard great things about Virgil's at Tioga Downs. (haven't tried the Nickel's place in Watkins Glen yet)

But brick 'n mortar bbq places right here? I see lukewarm reviews. So if this place can put out something worth writing home about, they may do well. 

Chris    233
2 hours ago, Ann said:

Dare I say this.......I don't like BBQ.  Must be a defective gene lol

I can take it or leave it. Mostly because I'm not a huge fan of messy foods. 

Hal    76
3 hours ago, Chris said:

I can take it or leave it. Mostly because I'm not a huge fan of messy foods. 

That’s why I do take outs for “ Q “ . 

KRSullivan    14
15 hours ago, Mary said:

Don't forget Callears in Sayre/Athens. 

Spiff    13
16 hours ago, Mary said:

Now all we need is the BBQ Pizza joint and we will be set.  Well I guess I was right on the money with the beans!!

KarenK    28

We will give the Sample This folks a try one of these days.  I however believe Phat Daddy's is hands down THE BEST BBQ place.   I am also not a huge lover of BBQ but its very good and his home made spicy sauce (which you add yourself if you want it) is delish!

Burke isn't really in business any more due to too much government red tape. Gotta catch him when he's volunteering his services somewhere.

KReed    50

Thanks for trying to give us a heads up, Spiff. Decided to give it a try in hopes that you caught them on a bad day.

They weren’t doing any better today.

We got there a little after noon. And were warmly greeted by everyone. Very pleasant people, which really does make me feel bad that this place just won’t last very long.

We shared a three meat, it came with 4 sides (if we’d each ordered a plate, the sides would have been “all you can eat” ). The husband saw a table that had just left had four mac n cheese on the empty table, all with barely a bite taken…Sooo, that confirmed your underwhelming review of that dish. No need to even try it.  

We went with brisket, ribs ($1.50 up charge) and he wanted pulled pork. For sides we picked green beans, cole slaw, potato and macaroni salad. The food was served very quickly.

Since it all came at once, the cold sides were pushed aside so we could dig in to the meats. They were all cold. Not “beginning to cool”. Not straight from the fridge, but a little under room temp, like they’d been sitting a cool drafty room.

When the super sweet server asked us how awesome everything was, we had to be honest and let her know it was all cold. She was incredulous at first, but swooped it back into the kitchen while we started on the sides.

The beans were still hot…even after sitting and pretty good (not fabulous, as they needed a little s&p and the bacon was soggy and undercooked to my taste). The slaw was not likely house-made, but it was a good brand whatever it was. Potato and macaroni salad….bland not much more than a light coating of mayo on each. (they will never be selling these for the $7.00 a pint take out they advertise!).

The meat was warm when it came back out with apologies, but still not hot. None of the meat had much flavor, nor the sauces. The “spicy” sauce was not. We went in hungry, but really lost our appetites. We picked at the brisket and ribs and asked for a box and a check.

Shouldn’t have bothered with the box. He tried the pulled pork when we got home and seriously got gaggy. My stomach still feels bad and not even sure if I’ll feel like eating dinner.

He still plans to give their breakfast a try....but not going back for lunch/dinner.

KarenK    28

I still have not tried it but we had friends stop there Friday and they just raved about it.

Spiff    13
9 hours ago, KarenK said:

I still have not tried it but we had friends stop there Friday and they just raved about it.

That's what I don't understand and why I was so disappointed. All the reviews I read were raving about it, I have a good friend who works there that raved about it and she was the only reason I went there. Which is the reason for me not posting it out on facebook like I usually do. 

On 3/31/2018 at 5:00 PM, KarenK said:

We will give the Sample This folks a try one of these days.  I however believe Phat Daddy's is hands down THE BEST BBQ place.   I am also not a huge lover of BBQ but its very good and his home made spicy sauce (which you add yourself if you want it) is delish!

Burke isn't really in business any more due to too much government red tape. Gotta catch him when he's volunteering his services somewhere.

Phat Daddy's is the best local bbq hands down his pulled chicken and pork does not need any sauce (I like the spicy) . TBH I really wasn't all that impressed with Burkes way back in the day either. My complaint with him is he didn't clean the meat very well. I am not a fan of fatty hunks on/in my meat.

On 4/7/2018 at 4:13 PM, KReed said:

Thanks for trying to give us a heads up, Spiff. Decided to give it a try in hopes that you caught them on a bad day.

They weren’t doing any better today.

We got there a little after noon. And were warmly greeted by everyone. Very pleasant people, which really does make me feel bad that this place just won’t last very long.

We shared a three meat, it came with 4 sides (if we’d each ordered a plate, the sides would have been “all you can eat” ). The husband saw a table that had just left had four mac n cheese on the empty table, all with barely a bite taken…Sooo, that confirmed your underwhelming review of that dish. No need to even try it.  

We went with brisket, ribs ($1.50 up charge) and he wanted pulled pork. For sides we picked green beans, cole slaw, potato and macaroni salad. The food was served very quickly.

Since it all came at once, the cold sides were pushed aside so we could dig in to the meats. They were all cold. Not “beginning to cool”. Not straight from the fridge, but a little under room temp, like they’d been sitting a cool drafty room.

When the super sweet server asked us how awesome everything was, we had to be honest and let her know it was all cold. She was incredulous at first, but swooped it back into the kitchen while we started on the sides.

The beans were still hot…even after sitting and pretty good (not fabulous, as they needed a little s&p and the bacon was soggy and undercooked to my taste). The slaw was not likely house-made, but it was a good brand whatever it was. Potato and macaroni salad….bland not much more than a light coating of mayo on each. (they will never be selling these for the $7.00 a pint take out they advertise!).

The meat was warm when it came back out with apologies, but still not hot. None of the meat had much flavor, nor the sauces. The “spicy” sauce was not. We went in hungry, but really lost our appetites. We picked at the brisket and ribs and asked for a box and a check.

Shouldn’t have bothered with the box. He tried the pulled pork when we got home and seriously got gaggy. My stomach still feels bad and not even sure if I’ll feel like eating dinner.

He still plans to give their breakfast a try....but not going back for lunch/dinner.

I tried the slaw but I am new to eating slaw and something just didn't sit right with me. I couldn't place the taste of the sauce or slaw juice to me it was just weird. At least there was some bacon in the beans even though it was soggy. You are a lot stronger of a person than I am, Cold meat equals me walking out. Was the pork extremely soggy like it sat around in fatty juice all day?

Ive decided to pass on the breakfast for 10.00 I can get a decent filling feast from Denny's.