Election Results
  • Chemung County Executive Race: Chris Moss (R) 55% Jerome Emanuel (Dem) 29% Krusen (I) 16%
  • 1st District: Pastrick (R) 57% Pucci (Dem) 43%
  • 2nd District: Manchester (R) 69% Saglibene (Con) 30%
  • 3rd District: Sweet (R) 53% Lynch (Dem) 40%
  • 4th District: Brennan (R) 64% Bond (Dem) 35%
  • 5th District: Margeson (R) 64% Stow (Dem) 20% Miller 15% (I)
  • 7th District: Sonsire (Dem) 63% Milliken (R) 36%
  • 8th District: Woodard (R) 58% Callas (Dem) 41%
  • 9th District: Burin (R) 74% Fairchild (I) 25%
  • 12th District: McCarthy (Dem) 50% Collins (R) 45%
  • 13th District: Drake (R) 65% Logan-Lattimore (Dem) 34%
  • 14th District: Smith (R) 68% Heyward (Dem) 31%
Chris

Craft Beers

Chris    841

I've never been a fan of Ithaca Beer, but since their Apricot Wheat was being offered by the groom at today's wedding ( and they were paying ) I tried it. Several times. 

Definitely a good drinking wheat beer. I don't know what the alcohol content was but at no time did I feel like it was making me loopy. 

Mary    113

I really like the apricot wheat. The State Theater serves it in Ithaca. 

Hal    198

It definitely was a smooth drinker and I have come to like Wheat beers ! Hitting GCP for my favorite Blue Moon Summer blend soon . Don’t get me wrong I like my own brew but because I wasn’t at home when it should have been racked over to the secondary fermenter it sat on the hops a little longer than I like . Well that and at 6.5% ABV I Just can’t  get past two without feeling sleepy 😆. 

Chris    841
2 hours ago, KReed said:

Hope you had time to use up that gift card.

I did, just a couple weeks ago. 

If I knew anything about brewing, and had several thousand dollars laying around, that would have been anything great opportunity. 

Chris    841

I nearly forgot to review a couple new beers I tried while we were in the Adirondacks. Fortunately there was a show on PBS about beers made there and I was reminded. 

The first one I tried was Switchback Ale. Brewed in Burlington Vermont, I have to confess the name and the old school, stout bottles got my attention. Its a reddish, amber ale and is unfiltered. If I remember correctly, the label recommended swirling the bottle to get the full flavor from stuff on the bottom. I passed, and drank it without swirling. 

Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 7.47.52 AM.png

Using only traditional ingredients, Switchback Ale is an unfiltered, reddish-amber ale which is particularly well-balanced, allowing for complexity of flavor coupled with an unusually smooth and refreshing character. Five different malts, select hop varieties, and our own specially cultivated yeast create an ale which leads with hop fl¬avors and a subtle impression of fruit (our yeast’s contribution), followed by a palate pleasing malty finish.

All Switchback beers are brewed in Burlington, Vermont and are carbonated during fermentation by the yeast itself resulting in a 100% naturally conditioned beer. After aging, we simply move the beer to the keg or bottle, leaving it unfiltered for the freshest, fullest, most natural flavor possible.

Definitely a good one, nice flavor, malty finish. I enjoyed it. 

The second one I tried was Wachusett Blueberry Ale. I'd had this before but couldn't remember if I liked it or not. Since I like blueberry ale and Horseheads is no longer available, I got a couple bottles. 

Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 7.54.51 AM.png

Brewed by Wachusett Brewing in Westminster Mass, it's described as, "A wonderful aroma of fresh blueberries is then enhanced by a delicious flavor that gets fermented into this classic wheat ale."

All I could say was, "Meh."

I'm sure it's fine for people who drink Michelob Ultra, but I felt like I was drinking beer flavored water. The blueberry was very subtle, TOO subtle for my tastes. It was there, but I had to think about it. Hailed as "New England's Favorite Blueberry", it makes me wonder what their options are. 

Last was one I'd actually had before but just wanted to enjoy since the brewery was right down the road ( and I never made it there, damnit ): Ubu Ale by Lake Placid Brewing. 

Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 7.56.17 AM.png

This is their flagship beer, and is described as:

"Ubu Ale is deep garnet red in color and features a dark, roasted malt flavor. There are no added flavors in this beer - it's the unique grain combination that delivers flavors reminiscent of fruit, brown sugar and chocolate. The beer finishes slightly dry and bitter with earthy hops."; "The mountain village of Lake Placid was once home to a legendary chocolate lab named Ubu - the biggest dog you've ever seen with an uncanny nose for great beer. Deep garnet red in color, this English-Style Ale is a tribute to the legacy of Ubu. Here's to the legend!"

I don't know the taster's lingo too well, but it's definitely what even I would describe as "complex". There's a nutty taste at first and an almost chocolate malty taste that followed. This is a good one for sipping and enjoying on a cool Fall day I'm thinking.

There were a ton more up there, and several breweries in the region. I guess I have an excuse for a return trip ( as if I needed one ). 

Hal    198

I have used the chocolate malts before , they do add a nutty flavor to the brew . Go to the brew store sometime and ask to sample some of the malt grains . There are some really good flavors , biscuit malts are by far my favorite actually giving the beer a biscuit like flavor , good with cheese and crackers  . Darker roast malts =darker more complex flavors . 

Chris    841

In absence of Horseheads Pumpkin Ale this year, our organization got Southern Tier Pumpking in. I'd tried it a couple years ago and didn't like it, but must be they've changed the recipe because this has the cloves and spices that I liked in Horseheads' ale. 

That definitely saved Autumn for me. 

Chris    841

Last night in Cazenovia there was some beer and scotch tastings. Since there wasn't a whole lot of people there ( great for us, made the acoustic performance better overall, more intimate ) the guy from Buried Acorn brewery in Syracuse gave us a few cans to try. 

I got the pale ale, which he said was actually more bitter than the IPA. It was pretty good, definitely hoppy, but enjoyable.

Screenshot_2018-11-10-18-49-56.png

The IPA was also pretty good, I'm not a fan on IPA's but occasionally find one that tastes good. I only had a sip of this one.

Screenshot_2018-11-10-18-50-06.png

I told him I'd pass along a good word about their beers, and asked if rhe distribute down here. He said they do, through A.L. George.

KarenK    68

Horseheads Brewing announced their sale yesterday. All recipes remaining intact and new owners will be ready to reopen by early March.   Horseheads is excited as they were a fan favorite.  No one has heard who bought it and it's driving everyone crazy but there isn't a sole who isn't excited and wishing them well.  I don't even like "weird" beer.  lol

Chris    841

I got a six pack of Ithaca Brewing's "Cascazilla" Red India Pale Ale for Christmas from my in-laws. 

Now, generally speaking I'm not a fan of IPAs. It seems like for a while that's all anyone was brewing and they were in a competition to see who could have the highest ABV and cranked up the hops as well. But it seems like things have calmed down. Or my palate has learned to accept them perhaps. 

Screen Shot 2018-12-29 at 9.24.25 AM.png

Anyway, this wasn't bad. It's 7.0%, hoppy but not too much ( probably just about the upper limit for me ), slightly malty, with a clean finish. It's not something I'd drink more than one or two of at a time, but I've found it's good for sipping on while cooking supper. 

Overall not a bad beer. 

Chris    841

All three nights this weekend we were at places that made their own beer.

Friday night was Brick house Brewery on Pultney St. in Corning. They had maybe a half dozen or so beers on their menu, and the first I tried, the Copper Ale, was my selection for the evening. 

Our signature beer. Brewed in the spirit of Altbier (German Old Brown Beer). Our American brewed Altbier translates to a flavorful, medium hopped, copper colored ale. Slightly bitter with plenty of zest. (ABV 5% IBU 47) 

The owner said it was their best seller, and it was easy to see why. 

Saturday night was Wellsboro House in Wellsboro PA ( naturally ). The currently offer 16 house beers which are brewed right across the street in the old train station, which is pretty cool in itself. Some of their selections have witty names such as "Double D Rye Ale", "Wynken, Blynken And Nod Out IPA" or "Kick In The Berries". I wasn't sure what to have so I sampled someone's "Quadzilla Belgian Ale". Again, I liked it at first taste, so that's what I went with. 

Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 10.00.29 AM.png

Here's the thing about the Quadzilla though: It's potent. After just two I was feeling it. After a couple more, it was time for good old fashioned H2o. When I asked  one of the guys what the alcohol content was, I wasn't sure I heard them right. They confirmed it the next day... 10% ABV. It's good, but best kept to just one or two. 

Sunday we were at Grist Iron Brewing in Hector. I've had several of their beers before and have enjoyed the Lake Life IPA and the MaXXimus Brown Ale. I was looking for something with a little lower alcohol content so I tried the Life's Lemons NEIPA. 

Hopped with loads of Mosaic and Citra, this hazy brew has a luscious tropical aroma + just a twist of lemon flavor. ABV: 5.12% | IBU: 55.23 | FG: 1.018

Definitely light and clean, the lemon isn't too much, it's more subtle than I was expecting. I definitely enjoyed it. 

Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 10.13.24 AM.png

• Like 1

Chris    841

Yesterday I took a ride up to Keuka Brewing with a buddy and tried some of their wares. 

Really a cool little place, off the beaten path a bit outside of Hammondsport, but not too far from Dr Konstatine Frank. 

I tried the "Fat Stack", "Murder", "Honey Kolsch", "BA Coconut Brown", and "Farmhouse #3". Rather than try and remember details to give a description of each, I thought ahead and took a pic:

Screen Shot 2019-04-14 at 6.26.38 PM.png

I also tasted a couple sips of the "BA Local Mocha".

Screen Shot 2019-04-14 at 6.31.13 PM.png

Pretty much everything I sampled I enjoyed with the exception of the "Murder", which had a weird tasting finish. Neither of us cared for it. The Honey Kolsch was okay, nothing exceptional. I think I was expecting more of a honey taste to it. The "Fat Stack" I really enjoyed; you could smell the maple as you brought it to your mouth and finished with a slight nutty, pecan taste. 

I had low expectations for the "Farmhouse #3",  a saison brewed with local blueberries. I just haven't been able to find a blueberry beer that compares to Horseheads'. You definitely get a blueberry smell from it, but the taste isn't overpowering. It's just about right. The beer has a slight pinkish hue to it, even the foam. I had an additional pint of this and it was a good sipper for a warm Spring day. I also got a half growler to go. 

Cool little place with friendly staff. They also serve list light finger foods so you can go and hang out for a while with both indoor and outdoor seating. With 16 beers on tap, we only scratched the surface!

Hal    198

ROAD TRIP 😆. Farmhouse #3 Blueberry Saison was a great drinker ... Thanks for the sample ! 

Johnny Go    121

I've had some of their brews a few years ago when someone brought a few growlers.  It was all pretty bad, like a home brewer who didn't know how to scale up.  Sounds like they might have improved since then.  Thanks for the update.

Chris    841
5 hours ago, Johnny Go said:

I've had some of their brews a few years ago when someone brought a few growlers.  It was all pretty bad, like a home brewer who didn't know how to scale up.  Sounds like they might have improved since then.  Thanks for the update.

Or, I just don't have a very discerning palate. :D

Jack    1

I stick to cheap whiskey and Bud Heavy at my playground of circular asphalt. 

I was a fan of dogfish in my Branch days. 

Most days now I be sipping on iced tea. Unsweetened. 

Chris    841
39 minutes ago, Jack said:

Most days now I be sipping on iced tea. Unsweetened. 

I always loved sweet tea when I was little. Can't stand it now. 

39 minutes ago, Jack said:

I was a fan of dogfish in my Branch days. 

They've got some good ones!

Jack    1
On 4/19/2019 at 2:52 PM, Chris said:

I always loved sweet tea when I was little. Can't stand it now. 

With as much sugar as people put in it, it upsets my stomach. 

KarenK    68
14 hours ago, Jack said:

With as much sugar as people put in it, it upsets my stomach. 

Well it has to have the sugar Jack! That's what makes it sweet.  :D

Chris    841

I bought a 6 pack of Saranac Blueberry Ale. Its not bad. When I open the bottle theres a whiff of blueberry and a faint flavor. But maybe its because it's a "blonde ale", it still doesn't compare with Horseheads' Blueberry Ale, which is heavier and more flavorful. 

And also still not yet available.

So while the Saranac isn't bad, it's not something I'll be buying again.

Hal    198

I have tried Saranacs brews , can’t say I was impressed.