Sign in to follow this  
ElmiraTelegram

National School Walkout: Students To Protest Gun Violence,

The coordinated walkouts were loosely organized by Empower, the youth wing of the Women's March, which brought hundreds of thousands of demonstrators to Washington, D.C., last year. The group urged students to leave class at 10 a.m. local time for 17 minutes -- one minute for each victim in the Florida shooting -- and suggested demands for lawmakers, including an assault weapons ban and mandatory background checks for all gun sales.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/14/national-school-walkout-students-to-protest-gun-violence-call-for-action-one-month-after-parkland-shooting.html

Mary    81

I asked my kids if they were participating, and my middle son replied, "I'm not looking to get suspended on my birthday, Mom". 

I like the suggestions of "Walking UP" rather than "walking out"- where they suggest you walk up to someone who is bullied, left out, etc and offer to help them, be kind, go out of your way to be nice to someone, rather than protesting.

The picture of all the shoes on the capitol building lawn was an emotional touch that hit home for all the deaths thus far. 

Chris    303
6 minutes ago, Mary said:

I asked my kids if they were participating, and my middle son replied, "I'm not looking to get suspended on my birthday, Mom". 

Ours were told they were to stay in class, but I should have known better. They said they had no intention of taking part. 

Organization for this began two days after the shooting. Two days. The blood wasn't even cleaned up and someone, somewhere, was thinking what an opportunity it made for more political haymaking. 

I just heard a kid on tv saying we need to stop people with $130 from walking in a store and buying an AR15. Further proof it's best not to make policy based on the whims of kids. 

Mark    89

I put this elsewhere, but I'll stick it here too:

I'm certain the vast majority of kids that walk out today do it because:

1.  "Hey, I get to cut class with all these other people.  What's the reason they are letting us cut class again?"

2. Peer pressure.

3. "Look! That chick I think is cute is skipping out.  I'll skip out too; maybe she'll notice me ..."

The press has really manipulated this whole issue ad nauseam.  They make it sound like the whole country is doing it so your school should too.  And whatever you do, don't punish the snowflakes for exercising their right to speak out and protest against guns, because guns are bad, m'kay.  Aside from the press, it appears the hot locations for protests have some really good handlers working them, feeding the kids the mantra of which to speak in front of the cameras.  Clearly, it's a small insignificant group of actors, but they're getting all the press.  My question:  Where in the hell are those teens in the about to turn 18 through 20 year old range who are about to lose their rights?  I mean, if I were a kid, I'd be really, really pissed about this.  If they are out there protesting, we sure aren't hearing about it.

Mary    81

It was brought up in a leadership meeting yesterday asking if our staff wanted to participate. I do not work at a school. Crickets chirped in response.

Chris    303
37 minutes ago, Mary said:

Crickets chirped in response.

LOL!

Andy    9

Elmira High School didn't do a walkout, instead we had our principal come on our news broadcast with the "Express News Now" team to answer questions submitted by students. There were many good questions and many good answers. I think that was better than a walkout, it brought the school together and we had a schoolwide discussionpretty much

• Like 4

Hal    82

Kudo’s To the Students and Staff at Elmira High School ! Clearly we have some hope for our futures in these young men and women who instead of walking out of class’s for 17 minutes of cell phone time and assing  around in general , found a more productive way of airing and discussing their concerns ! 

• Like 1

Chris    303

Well done! Far more constructive to discuss the situation and learn. After all, that's what school is for.