Sign in to follow this  

Elmira Senior Announced As National Merit Scholarship Finalist e

According to the Elmira City School District, Tallulah Keeley-LeClaire, an 18-year old senior at Elmira High School, has been selected as a finalist in the National Merit Scholarship Program. Of the 1.6 million entries, only some 16,000 students are selected as finalists. At this stage of the process, Tallulah is not only representing Elmira but is an overall of New York State finalist.

The National Merit Scholarship Program is an academic competition for recognition and scholarships. High school students enter the National Merit Program by taking the Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test —which serves as an initial screen of approximately 1.6 million entrants each year—and by meeting published program entry and participation requirements.

First, students need to complete a questionnaire that determines whether they meet the requirements to participate in the National Merit Scholarship Program. Then, of the 1.6 million entrants, some 50,000 with the highest scores will qualify for recognition in the National Merit® Scholarship Program. From there, these high scorers are notified that they have qualified as either a Commended Student or Semifinalist.  Of the 50,000 top scorers, some 34,000 receive Letters of Commendation in recognition of their outstanding academic promise. From there, only about 16,000 students qualify as Semifinalists and are designated on a state-representational basis. They are the highest scoring entrants in each state. 

Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 5.47.03 PM.png

Next, some 16,000 Semifinalists are notified by mail at their home addresses that they have advanced to Finalist standing. High school principals are notified and are provided with a certificate to present to each Finalist. All winners of Merit Scholarship awards are chosen from the Finalist group based on their abilities, skills, and accomplishments. A variety of information is evaluated to determine Finalists - academic record, information about the school's curricula and grading system, two sets of test scores, the high school official's written recommendation, information about the student's activities and leadership, and the Finalist's own essay. The selection of some 7500 Merit Scholarship winners from the group of more than 15,000 Finalists is now in progress. In March, the National Merit Scholarship Corporation will begin mailing scholarship offers to winners at their home addresses.

“I love Elmira and I have a huge sense of pride here.  It’s an honor to represent the Elmira City School District. The school has prepared me so much and I feel that I’ve always had all the support I need right here,” said Tallulah, as she was responding to news that she is a finalist for the National Merit Scholarship.

From a high GPA to extra-curricular activities like National Honor Society, Key Club, Green Club and playing the cello, Tallulah is certainly a well-rounded and deserving scholar. She volunteers at Reins of Hope, has a love for all things equestrian and loves reading things like Greek Mythology. Her top higher educational choices include Princeton, Brown, Yale, Dartmouth and Stanford. Oh, did we mention she’s got a brother at Yale? Yes, also an Elmira alum.  With a career trajectory in the biomedical engineering field, we know big things are ahead for Tallulah. #GoExpress