ElmiraTelegram

More Candidates To Join County Legislature Race

Three more candidates have thrown their hats in the ring to run for seats on the Chemung County Legislature. 

Deborah Lynch is a Corning native now living in Horseheads and is expected to announce her candidacy for the 3rd District Legislative seat. The 3rd District includes the Village of Horseheads and part of the Town of Horseheads. She will face incumbent L. Thomas Sweet. 

Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 1.28.57 PM.png

Among her platform is transparency in government and affordable housing in the 3rd District. She will be holding a formal announcement on March 21 at Thai Asian in Horseheads. Here website can be found HERE

Christa Heyward announced her candidacy for the county's 14th District earlier this week, seeking to represent the people of Southport. She will face incumbent Donna Draxler. 

Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 1.41.36 PM.png

Heyward a molecular biologist, is an Elmira native. She says she supports investigating further shared services as well as consolidation of local municipalities and regional services as a way to decrease spending. She also says she supports policies that spur economic development across the county, not just along the I86 corridor. Her Facebook page can be found HERE 

Christina Bruner Sonsire will be holding an event March 20th at the West Elmira Fire Department where she will officially announce her candidacy for the County's 7th District seat, which represents the Town of Elmira. She will face incumbent Cornelius Milliken. 

Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 1.49.58 PM.png

Sonsire is a Chemung County native and is a partner at the Ziff law Firm in Elmira. On her website, Sonsire writes that she is for a more open government and wants to help strengthen Chemung County in the hopes the next generation will consider living and working here. To learn more about her campaign, click HERE

Anthony Pucci has announced he will run for the County's 1st District seat which is currently held by Legislator John Patrick representing the Towns of Catlin, Veteran, & Village of Millport. Pucci has lived in Chemung County since 1974, currently residing in the Town of Veteran. 

Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 2.22.15 PM.png

Pucci is a retired school teacher and author of four mystery novels. 

If elected, Pucci says he will note against any proposed salary increases for the county legislators as well as support a resolution to lower the salaries of the legislators, the Chairman, the Deputy County Executive, and the County Executive. He also supports limiting legislators and the County Executive to no more than two consecutive terms, saying legislators should see their work as a community service, not a lifetime occupation. To learn more about Pucci, click HERE 

• Like 1

Chris    533

Gonna be an interesting election here in Chemung County. 

Mary    110

Nice to see some familiar faces here. I personally know both Sonsire and Pucci and look forward to learning more about their campaigns and goals.

Hal    146

I wonder , with all these new Candidates will this spur on a higher voter turnout ? 

KarenK    43
Posted (edited)

I've known Deb for years and years.  You all might recognize her moms name, Ruth Young. 

Personally I can say she is smart and passionate.  We have nothing in common politically for the most part, but still remain good friends.

It should be interesting.  Considering I'm registered in a different political party than all of them I will just have to watch from the sidelines.

Edited by KarenK

Ann    121

I don't like the idea of consolidating local municipalities because that will just lead to more  bigger government.  The Federal and State governments are perfect examples of bigger is not better.  Local municipalities would be so much better off without all the mandates from the big boys who think they know better but are only able to prove they can't do better.

Andy Patros    2

A couple of items:

1- The name of the young lady running for the 14th district is Christa Heyward, not Hayes.

2- Rumor has it that Donna Draxler is not running, but that Mike Smith, former Emergency Management Director for Chemung County is running for her seat as a Rep.

3- At this time, it appears as though 33 people will be running for the 15 seats in November.  This says alot in my opinion, as I don't recall the last time there has been this much activity and interest.  If the Santulli-Krusen adminstration has done such a great job, why the immense desire for change in the legislature, which includes a number of Republican primaries? 

4- Another Rep may announce to primary Joe Brennan in the 4th, and Mike Belosky just announced his intent to primary Tom Sweet in the 3rd.

5- And stay tuned for more Democratic candidate announcements.

• Like 1

Chris    533
17 minutes ago, Andy Patros said:

The name of the young lady running for the 14th district is Christa Heyward, not Hayes.

Thanks Andy, correction made. I think it's I disable auto-correct on my computer, it has a mind of it's own. 

It's definitely going to be a historic election cycle for Chemung County, and a lot to keep up with. Candidates are encouraged to send media releases/ candiacy announcements to elmiratelegram@gmail.com.

Hal    146

I would like to see all the platforms these good folks are running on , just to compare them side by side . 

• Like 1