Mary

Thoughts on the 17% tax increase for Elmira?

Mary    90

What are your thoughts on the tax increase for the City of Elmira?

What do you think about the way this was passed, and the players involved?

After the initial outrage settles, what can be done by residents for the future, and who is willing to step up to initiate action?

Hal    116

Do you mean that City Charter thing that just came out Mary ? Reminds me I need to push for finding the charter for Baldwin ... 

Anyway , interesting that Charter came to light after Council Members didn’t show up for the budget workshops to find ways not to implement the 17% increase . 

Chris    419
20 minutes ago, Hal said:

Reminds me I need to push for finding the charter for Baldwin.

Good luck. Several contacts in Albany don't have it either. It's not uncommon for small towns.

As for Elmira, I'm amazed, flabbergasted actually, at the way this happened. I have a really hard time believing they somehow "suddenly" found that stipulation in the City charter. Seems too convinient to me.

KarenK    36
6 hours ago, Chris said:

Good luck. Several contacts in Albany don't have it either. It's not uncommon for small towns.

As for Elmira, I'm amazed, flabbergasted actually, at the way this happened. I have a really hard time believing they somehow "suddenly" found that stipulation in the City charter. Seems too convinient to me.

Same. When I read that they "suddenly" found an unknown charter that let them just pass it without a vote my mouth dropped.  I'm calling BS and hope someone files a suit.

The city and it's council are starting to get way out of control. 

KRSullivan    68

I didn't hear anything about the charter or vote. Someone needs to put the whole story out there.