Sign in to follow this  
ElmiraTelegram

O"Mara Co-Sponors New Law Providing Sales Tax Exemptions For Local Breweries, Distilleries

Elmira, N.Y., December 1—State Senator Tom O’Mara (R,C,I-Big Flats) today said that legislation he co-sponsored to provide licensed breweries, cider producers, and distilleries with a state sales tax exemption for tastings they charge for, has been signed into law by Governor Andrew Cuomo.   

“The tax relief, regulatory reform, and promotional actions we have taken over the past several years have helped spark the rapid growth of craft breweries, cideries, and distilleries throughout the Southern Tier and Finger Lakes regions.  This new sales tax exemption for tastings will help continue this growth and strengthen these industries,” said O’Mara, a member of the Senate Agriculture Committee. 

Under previous law, any wine, beer, cider, or liquor tasting provided free of charge was exempt from state sales and use taxes.  

The new law (S.3387/A.6945, Chapter 418 of the Laws of 2017) extends the state sales tax exemption to tastings that breweries, cideries, and distilleries charge for -- an exemption previously provided only to wineries.

Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 10.54.29 AM.png

"This new sales tax exemption for tastings will help continue this growth and strengthen these industries,” said Senator O’Mara, a member of the Senate Agriculture Committee.

The recent modernization of the state’s Alcoholic Beverage Control Law (ABC) and numerous tax relief and regulatory reform actions over the past several years have proven enormously beneficial to both the wine and craft beverage industries, including beer, cider, and spirits. The approval of the Craft New York Act in 2014, for example, eliminated burdensome, bureaucratic red tape on producers and eased restrictions on the marketing of craft products.

As a result of all of these actions, the craft beverage industry has become a significant engine of job creation and economic development statewide, including across the Finger Lakes and Southern Tier regions.  New York State is now home to over 900 wineries, breweries, distilleries, and cideries. Since 2011, the number of farm wineries has increased by more than 60 percent, from 195 in 2010 to over 300 today.  The farm cidery license created in 2014 has resulted in over 20 new farm cideries statewide.

The craft beer industry now accounts for more than 6,500 jobs in New York and has a $3.5 billion economic impact.  Production has surged.  The Finger Lakes and Southern Tier regions are now home to more than half of New York’s breweries, brewpubs, and related outlets. The Finger Lakes Beer Trail was comprised of 24 breweries in 2011.  It now includes more than 100 breweries and brewpubs, beer stores, tap houses, and tasting rooms. 

Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 10.54.29 AM.png

Mary    81

Which are your favorite breweries?

Although I have yet to visit Upstate, I see they are often packed and are currently in second place on some online poll about NY breweries.

Any news on the sale of Horseheads?

Chris    303
13 minutes ago, Mary said:

Which are your favorite breweries?

As for taste, I'd have to say Horseheads, although Grist Iron and Rooster Fish rank up there as well.

Grist Iron and Starkey's win for or all ambience.

15 minutes ago, Mary said:

Any news on the sale of Horseheads?

I recall overhearing some discussion, but nothing I can report definitively.

Mary    81
1 minute ago, Chris said:

As for taste, I'd have to say Horseheads, although Grist Iron and Rooster Fish rank up there as well.

Grist Iron and Starkey's win for or all ambience.

I recall overhearing some discussion, but nothing I can report definitively.

I really like Starkey's, not for flavor or taste, but simply because I can buy a pint or glass of wine and sit outside and look at the lake. They often have live music. I think their flavors are sub par, but they work for what they are trying to achieve. I think having both beer and wine is a plus.

I enjoy Rooster Fish..

Was a big fan of Grist Iron, although they recently changed brewers abruptly, and I have not been back since. I do see they are hosting a Hair of the Dog event on Jan 1.

Chris    303
4 minutes ago, Mary said:

Was a big fan of Grist Iron, although they recently changed brewers abruptly...

Yeah I heard about that. I heard third or fourth hand why but I haven't' seen him to ask what happened.

Not sure how that' gonna affect the product. If recipes are his, belong to the brewery, what have you.

Mary    81

I am declining comment on that, other than I have not returned as of yet.

I did enjoy their food, views, and entertainment.

Ok, I will comment- regardless of what they choose to do moving forward, they certainly could not have gotten where they are without him...the whole idea was born in his kitchen.

So have you been to Upstate?

I also visited the Hop Farm in Geneva- that was an interesting visit.

Chris    303
33 minutes ago, Mary said:

So have you been to Upstate?

No, and no particular reason. If I'm looking for a local brew, Horseheads has always been my go to. Blueberry, Tropical Daze IPA ( the only IPA I've enjoyed ) and Pumpkin Ale. Oh and Tow ath Ale.

Since the original focus was also on disilleries, has anyone had any of the locally produced spirits ?

Mary    81

I did visit MacKenzie this past summer, and had an enjoyable time. I think they have a maple bourbon which is unique and local in flavor.  I am not much of a liquor drinker, so I had trouble tasting straight shots of liquor. They have a room off of the tasting room where one can get mixed drinks, and that is probably where I should have ventured.  My brother thoroughly enjoyed his visit during his stay with us last summer. Owner is an EFA grad, I believe...definitely from West Elmira.

Chris    303

MacKenzie is the only one I've tried. I' pretty biased when it comes to whisky  (go Irish) but they have a Rye Whiskey I recently had and it was a good sipper.