ElmiraTelegram

Gov. Cuomo Announced Round III Of NY Broadband Internet Program

Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today announced Round III of the nation-leading New NY Broadband program - providing the last mile funding to ensure high-speed internet access for all New Yorkers. The $209.7 million Round III awards will provide 122,285 homes, businesses and community institutions across the state with access to high-speed Internet, driving in aggregate more than $341.8 million of public/private broadband investment. This represents the third and final round of the program and the completion of the Governor's promise to connect all New Yorkers to high-speed Internet for the first time in state history. Since the program's launch in 2015, Governor Cuomo has secured high-speed Internet upgrades for approximately 2.42 million locations statewide. These latest awards through Round III of the New NY Broadband Program will close the final gap and bring high-speed broadband to all New Yorkers in every corner of the state.

"Access to high-speed internet is critical as New York works to deliver the resources needed for industries to thrive and businesses to remain competitive in the 21st century global economy," Governor Cuomo said. "This cutting-edge program is advancing our vision to connect communities, empower entrepreneurs and residents, and support advanced technological innovation. Projects achieved through the New NY Broadband Program are a major step forward in creating the most robust broadband infrastructure network in the nation, while ensuring that reliable, high-speed internet is available to all New Yorkers."

In Round III, 43 awarded projects will address unserved territories, approximately 7,544 miles of broadband infrastructure will be deployed, and residents and companies in eight regions across New York will have access to new economic opportunities.

The following companies have been selected to receive state grants in Round III:

Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 2.43.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 2.43.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 2.44.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 2.44.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 2.44.40 PM.png

In Round III, certain funded projects will also leverage up to $170 million in additional support from the federal Connect America Fund. These CAF funds were re­committed to New York State by the FCC as the result of efforts by Governor Cuomo, Empire State Development, and New York State Congressional representatives. The federal funds would potentially have been diverted to other states, but will now remain in New York.

The CAF funds were offered by the FCC directly to Verizon Communications in 2015 to connect Unserved locations throughout New York. Verizon Communications declined that offer of support. However, as a result of Governor Cuomo's broadband initiative and New York State's partnership with the FCC, Verizon Communications will once again be deploying new high-speed broadband service to unserved areas of the state. Through the Program's competitive Round III process, Verizon Communications has been awarded $70.7 million in state funding and $12 million in CAF support to address 15,515 locations across Upstate New York, including 4,968 in CAF-eligible territories. In total, 12 companies will receive more than $60 million in CAF support, to address 47,676 locations.

Chris    303

Rumor has it Spectrum has been up here preparing to run lines. I wonder if Haefle is still interested in the area. I haven't heard great stuff about Spectrum. 

KarenK    33
4 hours ago, Chris said:

Rumor has it Spectrum has been up here preparing to run lines. I wonder if Haefle is still interested in the area. I haven't heard great stuff about Spectrum. 

Same shit different day for more money.  I'm ready to ditch all of it except my internet.

Chris    303

For people up the road with no options, it'll be worth it. But so long as ATT is working we for us we'll stick to that.

KRSullivan    36

I'm curious on why Hughesnet got 28 million. They already off satellite internet to everyone that has line of sight. 

Chris    303

Probably because there was no real rhyme or reason and they had to make sure everyone got a taste. 

Spiff    16
17 hours ago, Chris said:

I have no complaints with Spectrum. The tv worked well when I had it and Ive never had any issues with the internet they actually just boosted their service from 6ombps to 100mbps with no extra charge. However we did have all new lines ran from pole to house and in house so that helps as well.

Edited by Spiff

KarenK    33

I have no problem with Spectrum internet either.  It's the one thing that usually works. Cable can be a pain in the butt sometimes.  When Spectrum does give me the big increase to my cable bill that everyone keeps telling me I will get, then I will have to switch to just internet and figure out how to get some TV shows that way.  

KReed    61

I'd like to find a link to an overview that accounts for the whole $341, 842,062 and specifies exactly how each of these companies will be spending their share. 

Mark    89
3 hours ago, KReed said:

I'd like to find a link to an overview that accounts for the whole $341, 842,062 and specifies exactly how each of these companies will be spending their share. 

Well, rest assured 10% of it will find its way back into cuomo's election coffers, so that part is accounted for ...

Edited by Mark

Chris    303

So it looks like this will be working out well for us here in this part of rural Chemung County. Haefle out of Spencer announced this week they will be providing high speed internet to our town starting about a mile up the road and working their way out. That's some great news for those on "the compound".

A couple neighbors have said that Spectrum workers are up here as well looking at poles with the intent of running broadband as well. As one of them put it, it's like a 21st century version of the Trans Continental Railroad race. 

We plan to go with Haefle. The reviews from people I've spoken to have been pretty good and it looks like they have some great prices on their high speed. Their top tier is still slightly cheaper than what we're paying now, and should be faster. Which is good, because lately our ATT doesn't like the HBO Now app. A lot of buffering lately.