ElmiraTelegram

Gov. Cuomo Announces Groundbreaking On $14 Million Centerpiece Of Downtown Revitalization Initiative

The City of Elmira and Southern Tier Economic Growth (STEG) together with Governor Cuomo and Empire State Development are excited to announce that the developer, Park Grove Realty, LLC is set to break ground on a 75,000 square foot, mixed-use development in downtown Elmira.  The project is the centerpiece of the City’s Downtown Revitalization Initiative (DRI) with funding announced in July 2017 by Lt. Governor Kathy Hochul.  The $14 million dollar project will include commercial and retail space and will feature 51 units of market-rate housing located at 100 West Water Street. 

This investment is supported by $2.3 million through the Restore NY Communities Initiative and $ 4 million through the Downtown Revitalization Initiative.   The project is consistent with “Southern Tier Soaring”, the region’s successful blueprint to grow the economy and create new opportunities by investing in city centers. This area will also see other DRI funded public enhancements which will include rehabilitation of the Centertown Parking Garage, the creation of a walkable and inviting Clemens Square, and enhancements to Mark Twain Riverfront Park that will include an elevated boardwalk. 

Park Grove is also pleased to announce the commitment of two entities to lease space in the 100 W. Water St. building.   LaBella Associates, a leading architecture, engineering, planning and consulting firm headquartered out of Rochester, New York has committed to being a tenant in the new building and will be bringing as many as 30 employees to downtown Elmira.  In addition, Patrick Palmer, long-time resident of Elmira, will lease approximately 4,000 feet to operate a brewery and craft beer bar as the first on-site brewery in the City of Elmira.  The brewery will create a series of unique flagship brews and seasonal small batches paired with a carefully curated menu.  Additional commercial/retail tenants are actively being recruited to be part of this project. 

Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 3.58.10 PM.png

DiMarco Constructors is the General Contractor for the project.  The architectural design was done by Johnson-Schmidt Associates of Corning and Fagan Engineers of Elmira provided the Civil Engineering design.

“The City of Elmira is excited for this critical investment in our downtown and priority project for our Downtown Revitalization Initiative to break ground,” Mayor Mandell said. “We would like to thank Governor Cuomo and the State of New York for this investment in our community’s future.  This highly visible vacant lot on West Water Street that once represented the heart of our community, will have a new multimillion-dollar mixed-use development that will serve as a catalyst for Elmira’s revitalization and generate new activity while building upon existing assets. “

"Our community is very fortunate that Park Grove, which is owned by former Elmira natives, is returning to develop this major commercial retail and residential project in the heart of downtown," said Chemung County Executive Tom Santulli. "It is our hope that this development initiative will be the catalyst for future investment in the center of the downtown district."

"It is said that a thousand-mile journey starts with a step," added Southern Tier Economic Growth President Michael Krusen. "While this is not the first step in Downtown Elmira's exciting revitalization it is an important one.  It is great news to see the hard work and effort that went into securing the $10 million dollar DRI grant start to move ahead.  There is so much more to follow and Elmira has much to be excited about. We are grateful for the support we have received from the State of New York and the Governor's Office.

• Like 1

Chris    340
7 minutes ago, ElmiraTelegram said:

In addition, Patrick Palmer, long-time resident of Elmira, will lease approximately 4,000 feet to operate a brewery and craft beer bar as the first on-site brewery in the City of Elmira.  The brewery will create a series of unique flagship brews and seasonal small batches paired with a carefully curated menu. 

This is really exciting. Pat was one of the brewmasters at Grist Iron and makes some great beers. 

• Like 3

Mary    82
23 hours ago, Chris said:

This is really exciting. Pat was one of the brewmasters at Grist Iron and makes some great beers. 

Correction: He was THE brewmaster.

Best wishes for a great hometown presence in Elmira. I was just talking to the owner at Finger Lakes House and he had alluded to this, but I didn't realize it was Pat. Very happy for him and for our community.

• Like 1

Sara    2
On 1/17/2018 at 3:58 PM, ElmiraTelegram said:

The City of Elmira and Southern Tier Economic Growth (STEG) together with Governor Cuomo and Empire State Development are excited to announce that the developer, Park Grove Realty, LLC is set to break ground on a 75,000 square foot, mixed-use development in downtown Elmira.  The project is the centerpiece of the City’s Downtown Revitalization Initiative (DRI) with funding announced in July 2017 by Lt. Governor Kathy Hochul.  The $14 million dollar project will include commercial and retail space and will feature 51 units of market-rate housing located at 100 West Water Street. 

This investment is supported by $2.3 million through the Restore NY Communities Initiative and $ 4 million through the Downtown Revitalization Initiative.   The project is consistent with “Southern Tier Soaring”, the region’s successful blueprint to grow the economy and create new opportunities by investing in city centers. This area will also see other DRI funded public enhancements which will include rehabilitation of the Centertown Parking Garage, the creation of a walkable and inviting Clemens Square, and enhancements to Mark Twain Riverfront Park that will include an elevated boardwalk. 

Park Grove is also pleased to announce the commitment of two entities to lease space in the 100 W. Water St. building.   LaBella Associates, a leading architecture, engineering, planning and consulting firm headquartered out of Rochester, New York has committed to being a tenant in the new building and will be bringing as many as 30 employees to downtown Elmira.  In addition, Patrick Palmer, long-time resident of Elmira, will lease approximately 4,000 feet to operate a brewery and craft beer bar as the first on-site brewery in the City of Elmira.  The brewery will create a series of unique flagship brews and seasonal small batches paired with a carefully curated menu.  Additional commercial/retail tenants are actively being recruited to be part of this project. 

Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 3.58.10 PM.png

DiMarco Constructors is the General Contractor for the project.  The architectural design was done by Johnson-Schmidt Associates of Corning and Fagan Engineers of Elmira provided the Civil Engineering design.

“The City of Elmira is excited for this critical investment in our downtown and priority project for our Downtown Revitalization Initiative to break ground,” Mayor Mandell said. “We would like to thank Governor Cuomo and the State of New York for this investment in our community’s future.  This highly visible vacant lot on West Water Street that once represented the heart of our community, will have a new multimillion-dollar mixed-use development that will serve as a catalyst for Elmira’s revitalization and generate new activity while building upon existing assets. “

"Our community is very fortunate that Park Grove, which is owned by former Elmira natives, is returning to develop this major commercial retail and residential project in the heart of downtown," said Chemung County Executive Tom Santulli. "It is our hope that this development initiative will be the catalyst for future investment in the center of the downtown district."

"It is said that a thousand-mile journey starts with a step," added Southern Tier Economic Growth President Michael Krusen. "While this is not the first step in Downtown Elmira's exciting revitalization it is an important one.  It is great news to see the hard work and effort that went into securing the $10 million dollar DRI grant start to move ahead.  There is so much more to follow and Elmira has much to be excited about. We are grateful for the support we have received from the State of New York and the Governor's Office.

Super excited about this! Congrats to Patrick Palmer! 

• Like 2

Chris    340
On 1/18/2018 at 3:30 PM, Mary said:

Correction: He was THE brewmaster.

Whoops, I thought there were two of them there. 

Hal    93

Please do not think of this as being negative as it it not meant to be ....

Due to Elmira’s dealings with so called developers in the past I remain skeptical but hopeful for this project to come to fruition . As to the Brewery ... Great , glad to see it happen but given Elmira’s being not so small buisness friendly I wish them all the luck ! As to the other planned amenities , some changes need to be made with the current , let’s call it atmosphere , with respect to safety or well being of those who would like to frequent such a place . Frequent being the keyword for the finished project in that it may start out as the greatest thing to hit the City but must sustain that customer frequency to be successful or even survive ! I’m going to catch some flack here but I’m just being realistic when I say there is an element in the City that looks on this project as an “opportunity “ , an easy mark if you will , not as a way for Elmira to grow and prosper . It will take very few incidents from the local               , insert your own descriptive , to get up to their particular brand of hijinx ( sp) and customer frequency will drop to the point of this well intended bright spot receiving a black eye .  

Again just my opinion ( hoping to be proven wrong ) ! 

• Like 1

Chris    340

I think it's promising there's been a good deal of local firms and people working on the project up to this point. 

Hal    93
17 minutes ago, Chris said:

I think it's promising there's been a good deal of local firms and people working on the project up to this point. 

At this point yes , that’s great . I was thinking more about after the whole thing is up and running . Again I hope to be proven wrong but remain skeptical about Elmira’s leaders ability to cooperate with the developer , the Brewery and other buisness’s looking to set up in the finished project . 

KarenK    34
On 1/20/2018 at 9:33 AM, Hal said:

At this point yes , that’s great . I was thinking more about after the whole thing is up and running . Again I hope to be proven wrong but remain skeptical about Elmira’s leaders ability to cooperate with the developer , the Brewery and other buisness’s looking to set up in the finished project . 

The Developer is originally from this area.  He went to Notre Dame, moved to the Roc and started a large real estate business (Conifer) and gifted Notre Dame with a bunch of money a few years back.  He has already put a lot of money into the area and appears to know what he's doing.  This may be the break they needed.

• Like 1

Hal    93

Same Conifer that took over Victory Heights complex and turned it around , good news there . I’m sure the complex will be built with the best of intentions and I agree it would be a shot in the arm for Elmira . My concern is the “ after “ part , and as I said I hope to be proven wrong . A reputable Developer can bring to fruition the grandest of projects but after the glad handing is done and feel good articles are written there is the Buisness side to be dealt with . I learned a new word last weekend while discussing this topic  , “ Gentrification “ , made sense to me and hoping it works here . 

Chris    340
1 hour ago, Hal said:

I learned a new word last weekend while discussing this topic  , “ Gentrification “ , made sense to me and hoping it works here . 

There are some, actually many, who would see gentrification in a racist light. However when looking at the core definition of the word, I'd strongly disagree. 

" ...the process of renewal and rebuilding accompanying the influx of middle-class or affluent people into deteriorating areas that often displaces poorer residents"

Since no one is being displaced, the introduction of market rate, middle class housing is nothing but a good thing for the city in my opinion.

Hal    93

Exactly ... no one is butt hurt or displaced just a possible reversal of an imminent blight . But someone will ultimately use the “ market rate  , middle class housing “ thing to mount their soap box . Still ... there are a lot of positives to this project ! Brewery , beer tastings , I’m in .:D

Chris    340

I saw on social media that they broke ground today. Here's hoping it's the start of something good.

• Like 1

Chris    340

Ok, maybe that was a little too flippant. 

But I think the release came from his office, I don't remember. 

KarenK    34

Just seems like taking credit for something he had nothing to do with.  I'm sure there was some sort of tax incentive, always is, but still he didn't court this bunch to bring them here. 

KReed    85

Hizmajesty deems which cities are worthy enough to receive these state grants for revitalization.

Royal decree is hard work….even when he’s just returning a small portion of our own money.