ElmiraTelegram.com
Sign in to follow this  
ElmiraTelegram

Elmira High School Hosts Financial Literacy Fair

The Elmira High School will host a Financial Literacy Fair, open to the public, on Friday January 12 from 11:30 a.m. - 1:45 p.m. in the library. Students in the Personal Finance course, as part of the Academy of Finance program, are sponsoring the event.  This event is free and open to students and adults. The program will focus on financial literacy concepts and strategies.

“The students have organized this Financial Literacy Fair to teach students and adults about important issues in personal finance they have learned this semester and how it can change their lives in becoming independent citizens,” says Cheryl Sweeney, Elmira High School Business Teacher and co-advisor to the Future Business Leaders of America student group.

“Our hope is that this Financial Literacy Fair will help students become self-sufficient independent citizens as well as future leaders who are preparing for finance careers or post-secondary programs in the finance industry,” says Garrett Johnson, a sophomore in the Academy of Finance at Elmira High School.

The Elmira High School recently announced the launch of the new Academy of Finance program. The Academy of Finance, a member of the NAF (National Academy Foundation) Network, is a three-year program that combines required, industry-based classes with work experience.  Those accepted into the program will take specialized classes and have the opportunity to work in a paid summer internship at a local business or industry-specific related organization. 

Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 7.14.10 PM.png

Based in New York City, NAF is an educational nonprofit organization dedicated to bringing education, business, and community leaders together to transform the high school experience.  NAF’s educational design ignites students’ passion for learning and gives businesses the opportunity to shape America’s future workforce by transforming the learning environment to include STEM infused industry-specific curricula and work-based learning experiences, including internships.

“At the Elmira High School Academy of Finance (AOF), the program engages students by using Business and Finance as a lens through which everyday problems are analyzed, approached and solved. Students learn how to think as professionals and rediscover the wonder and joy of learning,” says Cheryl Sweeney, Business Teacher for the Academy at Elmira High School.

The program is open to all Elmira High School students in Grade 10-12 and the required coursework falls under electives needed for graduation.  The elective courses include Personal Finance, Accounting, Business in a Global Economy and Professional Ethics. Students are supported to meet the Academy of Finance requirements through one-on-one mentoring with business teachers, other high school staff and business professionals.

The Academy of Finance operates a mission to “develop future leaders who are prepared for finance or related post-secondary programs and careers through a rigorous, industry standard curriculum, work-based learning program and collaboration with our community and business partners.” The 2017-2018 school year is year-one of what district officials call “a long-term program.” There are currently 15 tenth grade students enrolled and this educational design has the ability to enroll between 50-75 students per grade level.

NAF facilitates the “Academy of Finance” program across the nation and high schools apply to be under the national organization’s umbrella. Elmira High School applied last year and spent the 2016-2017 academic year planning the Academy’s implementation. Elmira High School “graduated” from the program in May and has since launched the program to students. 

The most significant element of the Academy of Finance is the completion of a 120 hour paid internship.  The internship is a culmination of a sequence of work-based-learning activities and meant to put into practice the career skills gained throughout the NAF curriculum and AOF program. And having a Corning Credit Union Branch office located inside Elmira High School makes internship opportunities easier.  Students can fulfill internship hours at our student-run credit union, through which students are recruited, trained, and coached to represent our school location as volunteer tellers serving students and faculty.  

Students that complete all Elmira High School “Academy of Finance” graduation requirements are eligible to graduate from National Academy of Finance.

Community support is imperative to the success of this program. Our academy relies on high level support and the highest caliber leadership from its advisory board and local partners.  Throughout the 2016-2017 Planning Year, a design team of community partners was developed in order to make sure resources and programs were aligned.  This preparatory work helps establish a sustainable foundation and ensures student success.  In addition to Elmira School District educators, the design team is made up of business leaders in our community including representatives from Chemung Canal Trust Company, H and H Financial Group, Corning Community College, Corning Credit Union, Elmira Savings Bank, and Chemung County Chamber of Commerce.

Enrollment is open to every student and to remain active in the Academy, students will meet certain academic and behavioral requirements throughout their involvement. Students can obtain an Academy of Finance application through their School Counselor. 

• Like 1

Chris    105

You mean it's important to know how to balance a check book and how credit actually works ? 

Chris    105
23 minutes ago, Mary said:

Insert sarcasm.

Yeah I never have located that smiley again. 

KRSullivan    5

It's actually a great course and opportunity. It teaches a lot more than balancing a check book and how credit works. 

Chris    105
24 minutes ago, KRSullivan said:

It's actually a great course and opportunity. It teaches a lot more than balancing a check book and how credit works. 

Sorry KR, I didn't mean for my sarcasm to imply I don't think it's a good thing or to diminish it. Quite the opposite actually.

I think back to the BS classes and things I had to learn to graduate like how South America and Africa drifted apart or how to differentiate obsidian from shale ( although if ya know nothing else Jon Snow, dragonglass comes in handy ). 

Anyway, I think of all the useless crap I had to learn 25 years ago. Then I can only imagine the useless crap being taught now. 

So to see something like this is refreshing to me. 

KRSullivan    5

No apology needed, it wasn't your comment I was responding to. It's one of many programs the district is doing to embrace "the community schools project". Elmira is leading the area in this area. 

Chris    105

Ah, gotcha.

I remember Hilary telling me about that. Nice to see it happening.

• Like 1