ElmiraTelegram.com
ElmiraTelegram

Hallmark Store At Arnot Mall To Close

In an announcement on social media as well as flyers mailed to customers, Rontina of New York announced that Tina's Hallmark at the Arnot Mall will be closing. While no definitive closing date has been announced, the store is currently offering a 30-50% discount on merchandise in the store.

According to a store employee, there were several factors for the decision to close the store including the cost of rent and changes in how people shop. It was also noted that Hallmark products are now available at more locations instead of a central location like the mall location.

Reaction among other mall stores and employees is somber. Some noted that the store had been there so long, and will be missed. 

In addition to the Arnot Mall location the company is closing stores in Williamsville, Olean and Depew. 

• Sad 1

Chris    104

This one really sucks. The ladies who worked there are great and it's been convenient to have them there when one needs to pick up a quick gift. 

Looks like Vitamin World closed up shop as well. That combined with the seasonal stores shutting down, it doesn't look good right now. I hope someone has a plan here.

Mary    38
46 minutes ago, Chris said:

This one really sucks. The ladies who worked there are great and it's been convenient to have them there when one needs to pick up a quick gift. 

Looks like Vitamin World closed up shop as well. That combined with the seasonal stores shutting down, it doesn't look good right now. I hope someone has a plan here.

Brian Harris does.

Ann    14

Is the Game and Calendar store next to Hallmark a seasonal store too?  Was there today and they're closing also.

Chris    104
31 minutes ago, Ann said:

Is the Game and Calendar store next to Hallmark a seasonal store too?  

Yup.

KReed    21
4 hours ago, Chris said:

I thought they'd announced that a hotel in the BonTon location was the latest of their extra-most-bestest plans.

Chris    104
34 minutes ago, KReed said:

I thought they'd announced that a hotel in the BonTon location was the latest of their extra-most-bestest plans.

Oh its in the plans, but in the meantime...

KarenK    10

The employees were told back in Nov I think. I know they discounts started early and they all frequented the Taza alot. Very sad to see it go.  One of the few stores I made a point to stop in when at the mall shopping.

Chris    104

I usually have my finger on the pulse up there, but this one got by me. It really stinks. 

KRSullivan    5

My wives best friend works there and she told me a couple months ago. My wife works in the shoe store across from it. They both go to Taza a lot. 

Mahatma    5

I have no love loss for Hallmark.  They are very demanding and less than helpful.  the building i bought in 2003 had been a gold crown dept within a pharmacy for many years.  Yet when i bought the building and opened up the pharmacy they wouldnt allow me to continue as one.  (per the rep.)  then after about 12 months i called to see if i could pleed my case (again) and was told that i could, no problem, would just have to redesign 1/3 of my store to meet their linear foot requirements.  turns out the rep gave me incorrect information so she could retain our acct as she was not a "Gold Crown" rep! ive benn  fuming ever since!  lol

Sherry and I were just discussing this today on the way home from Rochester. Then, after we arrived at home, I went to the local post office and saw a display rack from which they were selling various Hallmark greeting cards. :o

KReed    21

Snail mail is dwindling – and that means cards, too. You’d think that fact should make Hallmark go out of their way to keep local retailers like Mahatma carrying their product.

KReed    21

And I hate myself for the first thought that popped into my head:

They can’t leave – it’s a stationary shop!

• Haha 2

Chris    104
9 minutes ago, KReed said:

And I hate myself for the first thought that popped into my head:

They can’t leave – it’s a stationary shop!

Oh man... 9_9

Mahatma    5
3 hours ago, Chris said:

Mahatma is an "American Greetings" guy. Duly noted. :D

more of a "Carlton Cards" guy, if you must know!  :-) 

KarenK    10
On 1/6/2018 at 8:25 PM, KRSullivan said:

My wives best friend works there and she told me a couple months ago. My wife works in the shoe store across from it. They both go to Taza a lot. 

The owner of the Taza used to be the manager of the shoe store