Election Results
  • Chemung County Executive Race: Chris Moss (R) 55% Jerome Emanuel (Dem) 29% Krusen (I) 16%
  • 1st District: Pastrick (R) 57% Pucci (Dem) 43%
  • 2nd District: Manchester (R) 69% Saglibene (Con) 30%
  • 3rd District: Sweet (R) 53% Lynch (Dem) 40%
  • 4th District: Brennan (R) 64% Bond (Dem) 35%
  • 5th District: Margeson (R) 64% Stow (Dem) 20% Miller 15% (I)
  • 7th District: Sonsire (Dem) 63% Milliken (R) 36%
  • 8th District: Woodard (R) 58% Callas (Dem) 41%
  • 9th District: Burin (R) 74% Fairchild (I) 25%
  • 12th District: McCarthy (Dem) 50% Collins (R) 45%
  • 13th District: Drake (R) 65% Logan-Lattimore (Dem) 34%
  • 14th District: Smith (R) 68% Heyward (Dem) 31%
Sign in to follow this  
ElmiraTelegram

Trump Meets Kim Jong Un, Becomes First Sitting U.S. President To Step Into North Korea

ElmiraTelegram    121

The meeting capped an unpredictable three days of diplomacy in which Trump, while in nearby Japan for the G-20 summit of world leaders, issued an invitation to Kim on Twitter to meet him in the DMZ.

North Korea reacted positively, calling the proposal "interesting," but did not confirm that Kim would accept until the last minute.

Even as Trump traveled by helicopter to the DMZ accompanied by a massive security contingent, U.S. officials had told NBC News they were unsure whether Kim would really show up.

And when he did, his handshake with Trump and their ensuing talks unfolded in chaotic fashion under overcast skies. Journalists jostled to capture the historic encounter and even White House officials accompanying the president seemed unsure what would happen next.

"This means that we can feel at ease," Kim said of the meeting through a translator. "I believe that this will have a positive force on all of our discussions in the future."

In a nod to the unforeseen nature of their rendezvous in the DMZ, Kim told Trump that he "never expected” to see the president “at this place."

Read the rest at https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-kim-jong-un-meet-dmz-n1025041

Chris    906

Well, no need for funding for a border wall. They can build it with the bricks the Secret Service was shitting when he crossed the border. 

All kidding aside, love him or hate him, it's a historic moment and one that could lead to progress. It also could have been a huge ( YUGE ! ) embarrassment if Kim didn't show. 

Johnny Go    152
Posted (edited)

Trump has been making slow, but steady progress with NK.  You would never know it from the media.  Never mind the complete and total failures all president's have had dealing with the NKs for the last 70 years.  The point is, he is meeting and talking.  He is putting teeth behind his words.  When Trump walks away from a negotiating table, the media and dems declare "he's a failure".  The NK's are not openly developing their nuclear arsenal, frequently launching missiles over friendly nations as they did during the years BT (Before Trump).  What did Biden and gang do to reduce the threat from NK?

The same thing with all of the other countries, allies and foes alike, that have taken advantage of our softness over the past decades.  Trump knows how to negotiate and get what he feels the USA needs.  If he doesn't get what he wants, he is not going to sign up for a bad deal and declare a victory.  

Edited by Johnny Go
  • Like 1

Hal    213

Big difference , Humongous difference between THE  President Stepping over the DMZ and ... the President bowing down to some other despots  ! As Gaffer Grandpa Joe whispered in obamers ear when the mic was on ...  “  this is a big Effing deal “ ! 

• Like 1

Johnny Go    152
2 minutes ago, Hal said:

Big difference , Humongous difference between THE  President Stepping over the DMZ and ... the President bowing down to some other despots  ! As Gaffer Grandpa Joe whispered in obamers ear when the mic was on ...  “  this is a big Effing deal “ ! 

Yuge even!

• Haha 1

Hal    213

LOL , I actually typed Yuge difference at first , but that was Chris’s descriptive ! 

Chris    906

Something I thought about today, isn't this how the Cold War ended? Not with tough talk but no nonsense expectations peppered with an occasional handshake and gesture if good will? I seem to remember it that way. And seem to remember people saying almost the same thing about the Soviets that is said about Best Korea. 

The Donald is no Ronald Reagan, but I do see some parallels here. 

Johnny Go    152

Well, I was just told by the LSM that this meeting was nothing but a photo-op for Kim, and it could very well make the entire situation more dangerous.  It's like they want failure.