Election Results
  • Chemung County Executive Race: Chris Moss (R) 55% Jerome Emanuel (Dem) 29% Krusen (I) 16%
  • 1st District: Pastrick (R) 57% Pucci (Dem) 43%
  • 2nd District: Manchester (R) 69% Saglibene (Con) 30%
  • 3rd District: Sweet (R) 53% Lynch (Dem) 40%
  • 4th District: Brennan (R) 64% Bond (Dem) 35%
  • 5th District: Margeson (R) 64% Stow (Dem) 20% Miller 15% (I)
  • 7th District: Sonsire (Dem) 63% Milliken (R) 36%
  • 8th District: Woodard (R) 58% Callas (Dem) 41%
  • 9th District: Burin (R) 74% Fairchild (I) 25%
  • 12th District: McCarthy (Dem) 50% Collins (R) 45%
  • 13th District: Drake (R) 65% Logan-Lattimore (Dem) 34%
  • 14th District: Smith (R) 68% Heyward (Dem) 31%
Chris

Best Cover Songs

Chris    906

I think we did this once before a long time ago, but after seeing Ryan's new column  I thought maybe we could do it again. 

What are some of your favorite cover songs?

"Hurt" has got to be one of the all time most awesome covers ever done. Trent Reznor, who wrote and performed it with Nine Inch Nails said:

"I'd known where I was when I wrote it. I know what I was thinking about. I know how I felt. Hearing it was like someone kissing your girlfriend. It felt invasive".

It was the moving video, though, that made it all fall into place for the Nine Inch Nails star: "It really, really made sense and I thought what a powerful piece of art.

"I never got to meet Johnny but I'm happy I contributed the way I did. It felt like a warm hug. For anyone who hasn't seen it, I highly recommend checking it out. I have goose bumps right now thinking about it.

I remember having the same reaction the first time I saw it. 

Cash also did a great cover of "Rusty Cage" originally recorded by rock band Soundgarden:

As Ryan mentioned, one of Johnny's songs, "Ring of Fire" was covered by punk band Social Distortion and it's pretty good. 

Chris    906

Yep, that's one of my favorites. There's a video of someone showing that to Snoop and he loves it. 

Chris    906

Love me some Red Hot Chili Peppers. Their cover of Stevie Wonder's "Higher Ground" is one of the first songs I ever heard from them I think. 

Mark    144

Here's my favorite cover of "Ring of Fire" by Stan Ridgeway and Wall of Voodoo:

Johnny Go    152

I've seen Yonder a few times, their covers are always excellent.  The addition of Allie a few years ago kicked their performances up a notch.  With all due respect to Dusty Springfield, may she rest in peace, I present Yonder Mountain String Band.

Chris    906

Not sure how I forgot this one, but I like it way better than the original. ( You can skip ahead to about 1:20 to get right into the song. )