Election Results
  • Chemung County Executive Race: Chris Moss (R) 55% Jerome Emanuel (Dem) 29% Krusen (I) 16%
  • 1st District: Pastrick (R) 57% Pucci (Dem) 43%
  • 2nd District: Manchester (R) 69% Saglibene (Con) 30%
  • 3rd District: Sweet (R) 53% Lynch (Dem) 40%
  • 4th District: Brennan (R) 64% Bond (Dem) 35%
  • 5th District: Margeson (R) 64% Stow (Dem) 20% Miller 15% (I)
  • 7th District: Sonsire (Dem) 63% Milliken (R) 36%
  • 8th District: Woodard (R) 58% Callas (Dem) 41%
  • 9th District: Burin (R) 74% Fairchild (I) 25%
  • 12th District: McCarthy (Dem) 50% Collins (R) 45%
  • 13th District: Drake (R) 65% Logan-Lattimore (Dem) 34%
  • 14th District: Smith (R) 68% Heyward (Dem) 31%
Sign in to follow this  
ElmiraTelegram

Governor Signs Legislation Removing Non-Medical Exemptions From School Vaccine Requirements

ElmiraTelegram    117

On Thursday, Governor Andrew Cuomo signed legislation removing non-medical exemptions, including religion, from school vaccination requirements for children. 

“While I understand and respect freedom of religion, our first job is to protect the public health..."

Read the rest at http://home.elmiratelegram.com/?p=2188

KReed    379

I don’t have mixed feelings. I think it is over-reaching and useless.

I am glad my children made it through school before they became mandatory victims of most of this nonsense.

The more I see government require drugs pushed out by the trillion-dollar pharmaceutical industry for more and more illnesses (that are rarely life threatening), the more I lean toward supporting the “anti-vaxxer” movement (or at least the movement that believes they should be voluntary).

The only people “endangered” by unvaccinated children are them…and others who are unvaccinated.

And I do understand that measles, chicken pox and even influenza can be dangerous to a small “vulnerable” population that cannot be vaccinated. Having been a parent of a cancer-stricken toddler…..I think I can speak more intimately on that topic than most.

The five days stint she spent with a fever of 102° (that took us to Strong ER twice and showed white cell counts that were terrifying) was the most chilling week of my entire life. Trust me.... I have a crystal clear understanding of what “vulnerable” means.

As a parent with an extremely vulnerable 3-year old, we did what we could to keep her safe. Her father and sister had flu shots and I took prophylactic anti-viral meds because I’d had a severe reaction to an earlier flu shot. We had all (including the little patient) already had chicken pox in the past and were vaccinated against measles.

But you see….we also understood that ‘vaccinatable’ diseases were not the only threat that could kill her.  Any flu strain outside what was “guessed” to be the most likely for 1997 could still kill her. So could one of us being exposed to mono nucleuses or any common cold, pink eye, or any number of other ‘un-vaccinatable’ germs….like whatever cold-like probably-viral illness that she did encounter.  The only way to protect such a vulnerable individual is extreme diligence and as much isolation from the germ-ridden general population as possible.

Cuomo ensuring that “vulnerable” kids like mine are sent to school confident in the knowledge that all the other kids are vaccinated against chicken pox and measles provides nothing more than a false sense of security for those parents, a nice PR announcement for him and a bigger profit for big pharma.

Chris    841

I get what you're saying. I recall taking our son to Strong, terrified at what the diagnosis could be. And thankfully wasn't. 

I'm firmly against the anti-vax fad. And that's all it is as far as I'm concerned.  ( Though it has spawned some awesome memes. )

Having said that, this does feel like government over reach, and what worried me is the slippery slope it could send us down in the future. 

KReed    379

That slippery slope is what concerns me.

I don't feel like an anti-vaxxer. I don't buy into the autism BS and I voluntarily (and happily) protected my children against what I believed to be dangerous diseases.

But we have gotten to where vaccines are becoming mandatory for things (like chicken pox, and in some places, flu and pneumonia) that are only a real threat to a very small segment of the population. I believe people should be free to weigh the potential risks/benefits of those things for themselves. 

I personally had a severe reaction to a routine flu shot, and do not wish to be forced to ever take that risk again. And allowing me the choice not to vaccinate against typically non life-threatening diseases does not harm those who do choose to vaccinate. 

Chris    841
2 minutes ago, KReed said:

I don't feel like an anti-vaxxer. 

No, I don't think you'd fall under that category. I certainly didn't mean to imply that ( if that's how it read ).

4 minutes ago, KReed said:

But we have gotten to where vaccines are becoming mandatory for things (like chicken pox, and in some places, flu and pneumonia) that are only a real threat to a very small segment of the population. I believe people should be free to weigh the potential risks/benefits of those things for themselves. 

Up until recently, I've never gotten the flu vaccine. Even under threat of being suspended ( during the last H1N1 scare, 2008 or 2009 I think ) I refused. Largely because I'd already had it that year, but also because I didn't like being told to do so "or else". Until Gov. Patterson backed down. 

Now I get it because I drive a petri dish on wheels, but because I seem to have trouble with upper respiratory infections and getting rid of them. 

But yeah, for minor illnesses, I agree it should be up to the individual. So long as they stay the hell home when they're sick. :) 

KReed    379
19 minutes ago, Chris said:

No, I don't think you'd fall under that category. I certainly didn't mean to imply that ( if that's how it read ).

33 minutes ago, KReed said:

I didn’t think you were implying that I was….

But even not classifying myself as such – I find myself more and more supporting their right to choose (even if I think their underlying premises are complete malarkey), and being less convinced that they are harming anyone outside their own family with those choices (based in delusion or not).

And, in addition to flu/chicken pox etc….. we haven’t even touched on states that were/are trying to mandate HPV vaccines for fifth graders.:S