Election Results
  • Chemung County Executive Race: Chris Moss (R) 55% Jerome Emanuel (Dem) 29% Krusen (I) 16%
  • 1st District: Pastrick (R) 57% Pucci (Dem) 43%
  • 2nd District: Manchester (R) 69% Saglibene (Con) 30%
  • 3rd District: Sweet (R) 53% Lynch (Dem) 40%
  • 4th District: Brennan (R) 64% Bond (Dem) 35%
  • 5th District: Margeson (R) 64% Stow (Dem) 20% Miller 15% (I)
  • 7th District: Sonsire (Dem) 63% Milliken (R) 36%
  • 8th District: Woodard (R) 58% Callas (Dem) 41%
  • 9th District: Burin (R) 74% Fairchild (I) 25%
  • 12th District: McCarthy (Dem) 50% Collins (R) 45%
  • 13th District: Drake (R) 65% Logan-Lattimore (Dem) 34%
  • 14th District: Smith (R) 68% Heyward (Dem) 31%
Ann

Cuomo’s newest proposal

Ann    251

While watching local news this morning one of the segments was about Cuomo’s latest proposal to pass legislation to eliminate “gay panic”  as a defense in a criminal matter.  I believe this would interfere with due process.  It’s not up to him to make that determination but a jury hearing the case.  He’s overstepping his authority yet again.

Chris    841

I had to look it up to see what it meant.

"The gay panic defense is a legal defense that is sometimes employed, usually against charges of assault or murder. A defendant using the defense claims they acted in a state of violent temporary insanitybecause of unwanted same-sex sexual advances.The defendant alleges to find the same-sex sexual advances so offensive and frightening that it brings on a psychotic state characterized by unusual violence."

Is it really that prevalent as a successful defense?

Ann    251
2 hours ago, Chris said:

I had to look it up to see what it meant.

"The gay panic defense is a legal defense that is sometimes employed, usually against charges of assault or murder. A defendant using the defense claims they acted in a state of violent temporary insanitybecause of unwanted same-sex sexual advances.The defendant alleges to find the same-sex sexual advances so offensive and frightening that it brings on a psychotic state characterized by unusual violence."

Is it really that prevalent as a successful defense?

I don’t believe it matters whether it’s a successful defense or not, it should be up to a jury to decide, not legislated as to what can and can not be used as a defense.  

What would be next?

• Like 1