ElmiraTelegram.com
Sign in to follow this  
ElmiraTelegram

Race Car Driver To Be Keynote Speaker At Chamber Of Commerce Event

The Chemung Chamber's 112th Annual Dinner Meeting of Members is set for Wednesday, January 24th at the Holiday Inn Riverview in downtown Elmira.

is is the Chamber's largest annual gathering of the membership, featuring a cocktail hour and dinner for networking. Also included in the program are remarks from the Chamber Board of Directors Chairman, Lou DiFabio of Chemung Canal Trust Company, election of o cers to the Chamber Board and Executive Committee, and a keynote speaker. This year's event will welcome Lyn St. James as keynote.

Screen Shot 2018-01-02 at 4.32.05 PM.png

St. James is a retired professional IndyCar and international race car driver known for her outstanding accomplishments
on the racetrack. A few of her many career highlights include being the proud winner of the 1992 Indianapolis 500 Rookie of the Year, the rst woman to win that honor. She had seven Indianapolis 500 starts in nine years, including six consecutive starts.

She also held 31 international and national closed circuit speed records over a 20-year period, including 225.722 m.p.h. during qualifying for the 1995 Indy 500. She raced twice in the biggest endurance race in the world, Le Mans 24 Hours in France, had two wins in the Daytona 24 Hours, and raced nine times in the Sebring 12 Hours.

Additionally, she has become a sports commentator for ESPN/ESPN2, an IndyCar racing analyst for ABC, and successfully founded the Women in the Winner's Circle Foundation for the education, training and advancement of women in automotive elds. Her roster of awards, publications, achievements, appearances, involvement on boards, and associations with top American corporations are compelling and numerous. For more information about her impressive career, please visit www.lynstjames.com.

This event is sponsored by Chemung Canal Trust Company, Corning Enterprises, Watkins Glen International, Empower Federal Credit Union, e Hilliard Corporation, Cameron Manufacturing & Design, Excellus BlueCross BlueShield, First Heritage Federal Credit Union, Finger Lakes Technologies Group, and Hunt Engineers, Architects & Land Surveyors, P.C. Beverage sponsors include GCP Discount Liquors & Wines, Seneca Beverage Corporation, Culligan Water Conditioning, and John G. Ryan, Inc.

Mark    30

Lyn St. James is one of my all time favorite drivers.  In 1985, I saw her become the first woman to win a major professional auto race when she came in first in her GTO class (and 9th overall) in the IMSA GT Serengeti 500 at Watkins Glen.  She was driving a Jack Roush Ford Mustang #07 by herself, while all the other top 15 finishers were multi driver teams.  Somewhere around here I have photos of her on the winner's podium and in the garage.  This accomplishment went largely unnoticed at the time (notice how it's still not even mentioned in the blurb above), but I'll never forgot it.  And it was no fluke.  The following week she would go on to finish 2nd overall in the IMSA GTO/GTU street race in Columbus.

Chris    101

I used to love going to some of those "minor" races at the Glen when I was younger. Almost positive I got to see her drive there, but not 100% sure.