Election Results
  • Chemung County Executive Race: Chris Moss (R) 55% Jerome Emanuel (Dem) 29% Krusen (I) 16%
  • 1st District: Pastrick (R) 57% Pucci (Dem) 43%
  • 2nd District: Manchester (R) 69% Saglibene (Con) 30%
  • 3rd District: Sweet (R) 53% Lynch (Dem) 40%
  • 4th District: Brennan (R) 64% Bond (Dem) 35%
  • 5th District: Margeson (R) 64% Stow (Dem) 20% Miller 15% (I)
  • 7th District: Sonsire (Dem) 63% Milliken (R) 36%
  • 8th District: Woodard (R) 58% Callas (Dem) 41%
  • 9th District: Burin (R) 74% Fairchild (I) 25%
  • 12th District: McCarthy (Dem) 50% Collins (R) 45%
  • 13th District: Drake (R) 65% Logan-Lattimore (Dem) 34%
  • 14th District: Smith (R) 68% Heyward (Dem) 31%
Sign in to follow this  
Johnny Go

Chemung County Executive

Johnny Go    30

With the election just a few weeks away I realized I have seen very little from the three candidates on the ballot.  What are their platforms? What would they do differently, if anything, from the way the county has been run under the last administration?

I know nothing about Emanuel. I have yet to see even a yard sign.  The political field sheet here is the only reason I know he is on the ballot.

I know Krusen worked under Santulli, but nothing else.

I know quite a bit of about Moss and his resume, not sure what he is proposing for the future.

Any comments which would help me build knowledge to make an informed decision, from either readers here or the candidates themselves, would greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

ElmiraTelegram    109

Stand by, I sent out questionnaires to all county candidates in contested races this year. I have received a response from Sheriff Moss and a couple legislative candidates so far. I asked them to have the responses to me by the 22nd so I can run a full slate of responses from all on Oct. 29 ( although I'll happily do so sooner if they're all in on time. ) 

• Like 2

Chris    570

Anybody get a chance to listen to the County Executive debate on Frankly Speaking?

It will also be televised on Big Fox as follows:

44603291_246227106051870_3824475653315493888_n.jpg

Johnny Go    30

OK, responses are in.  Comments?

Mine are quickly summarized:

- Emanuel seems like a good person with a good heart, but his information is vague, and seem a bit vanilla and/or naive.  He has potential, but his lack of experience with government operations is concerning.

- Moss continues to appear competent as a leader, good grasp of the realities of our area, and not a politician giving political answers.  He has a proven track record of getting sluggish government agencies to move.

- Kreusen seems more of the same old stuff.  Knows exactly what needs to be done, but wants to meet and talk, have more meetings, external assessments, oh yeah and committees. For example, no personal opinion on term limits, let's leave it up to a committee to solve sometime in the next couple of years.  sheesh... 

I'm still not completely decided, but I'm leaning heavily in favor of the tough, get something done candidate.

• Like 2

Chris    570

I'd say almost across the board, with just a couple exceptions, there's a stark difference between incumbents and those running for the first time when it comes to the idea of term limits. 

Johnny Go    30

My favorite reply was by Manchester who said there are already term limits in place, the voters can limit the term at every election. It is a shame his opponent failed to respond. 

KReed    240

I haven’t read through the candidate profiles posted in the next section, but I have a few thoughts on the debate.

Emanual truly does seem sincere, but a bit vague as Johnny noted. I think he'd have been better suited to begin his endeavor at public service on the school board, city council or legislature....and could work well in such a position.

Krusen, came off as bitter and making a ridiculous effort to contradict himself by flopping between saying he’d have “fresh” ideas and agreeing with Emanual’s comments….then constantly repeating how he has the experience and has been “doing the job”.  

Moss did get but riled once or twice…but not to the level of Krusen. And I really liked his rebuttal about why is Krusen planning to “start” mending the relationship between county and city once he's elected…..after having decades to work on that.

Jerome is correct that poverty creates a lot of undesirable effects, but Moss was spot on that public safety is the key to elevating the neighborhoods. Medical students and others with disposable income simply will not relocate to a dangerous neighborhood. Period.

Emanual brought up another very good point about the area needing “destinations”. We can’t thrive on only local income. A certain portion of the local wages will always go elsewhere (vacations are income spent elsewhere, corporate cuts on every chain restaurant/store go to their respective headquarters, manufacturers get most of the profit from vehicle purchases, etc etc etc). It makes sense that we need to bring in out of town income as well. Otherwise the area will always spend more than it earns.

Krusen’s examples of the airport and mall hotel as “destinations” was laughable. WTF???

Those places can provide ancillary services needed to support an actual destination; they are not destinations in and of themselves. No one flies in just for the goal of taking a plane trip. And even if the mall is getting a full-blown resort instead of a hotel, those guests want to have something worth doing when they leave the hotel.

• Like 3

KReed    240

The finger pointing and disagreements between the City of Elmira and the County governments are a concern to many residents county wide.   If elected how do plan to improve relations between the two?

Naturally, relations are best improved by more finger pointing:

However as I have traveled all over the County these last several months what is also concerning to people and me as well is the failure of city government to address the financial mess the city finds themselves in as well as the need to more aggressively address the issues of poverty and neighborhood blight. A double edge problem that is dragging the city down and is a stigma on our entire community that we must cooperatively address.

Edited by KReed

Chris    570
2 hours ago, KReed said:

Krusen’s examples of the airport and mall hotel as “destinations” was laughable. WTF???

Those places can provide ancillary services needed to support an actual destination; they are not destinations in and of themselves. No one flies in just for the goal of taking a plane trip. And even if the mall is getting a full-blown resort instead of a hotel, those guests want to have something worth doing when they leave the hotel.

I've said the most immediate thing Chemung County can do is capitalize on the actual destinations that are a shirt drive away. 

Watkins Glen, Corning, the Finger Lakes in general. 

Market Chemung County as the "Gateway to the Finger Lakes" offering those ancillary services, and then GTFO of the way when would be small business owners want to try and capture some of that tourist money on its way to the above mentioned destinations. 

Within a reasonable time span, you'd have actual marketable destination potential here, and further economic growth. 

But as I said, it'd take the local government government realizing that the best thing to do is get out of the way, and I don't have a lot of confidence they would. Hard to take credit ( and justify a six figure income ) for every little good that happens if someone else makes it happen. 

Hal    154

Agreed ... small buisness’s , as proven by Corning’s Mkt St . Are what lead tourists along a certain path . More “ big box stores “ are not the way to line that  path . Most people are trying to get away from the Sprawl Marts etc and will avoid areas saturated by them while traveling . 

Johnny Go    30

Elmira will never be a vacation destination, there just isn't anything special enough for that.  Even if it could offer something to become active as part of NYC's playground, those jobs basically suck.  Sure there are a lot of jobs in the finger lakes, but many are seasonal, and virtually all are low wage.

I heard Emanuel's comment about needing things to do as more along the lines of the old saw of Idle hands are the devil's playthings.  And I agree with him. But, what type of things to do can be afforded by the current population which is causing the trouble?

To me, the key to a vibrant city and downtown always has been, and always will be providing safety for visitors and residents.  Except for a couple of waterholes, downtown is basically closed for business by early evening. There is no foot traffic, nor is there any reason for foot traffic.  A catch 22 it seems.  To break this circle, first people need to feel comfortable walking downtown. Have regular patrols with the goals of eliminating all sounds of gunshots from the area 24/7, set a goal of zero violent crime.  Then they need to have a reason to go there.  We have a some wonderful riverside parks, on both sides of the river.  Imagine regular (at least weekly) free entertainment and food vendors in Riverside park on Market street.  Encourage people to bring a picnic basket and relax, etc.  Once foot traffic starts, businesses will follow.  Get college students going there, and maybe some will stay here after graduating.

There also needs to be a reason for people of higher income levels to want to live in or near downtown.  Safety and things to do are key.  What about the low income residents?  Have a firm belief that a rising tide raises all boats, or at least those that are willing to be raised.

I think Moss has shown the best appreciation for this strategy.  I believe Krusen will just continue to go to his little affairs with the other elites and think things are hunky dory in his world.

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this