ElmiraTelegram

County Legislature Approves Modified Sales Tax Allocation Agreement

At Tuesday night’s Chemung County full Legislature meeting, the Chemung County Legislature passed a resolution extending a sales tax agreement between Chemung County and the City of Elmira.

Under the agreement, City payments to the County will be deferred for shared services in 2018 and 2019 equaling $1,049,073 and $249,073 in 2020 for total deferrals of $1,298,146. The proposed schedule includes a $250,000 payment from the City to the County for both 2019 and 2020. 

“We believe the deferral of approximately $1,300,000 million will allow the City to hold the line on taxes during this two-year period and afford the joint City-County committee ample time to consider other actions necessary to address the city’s financial situation,” said Chemung County Executive Tom Santulli.

“I would urge City Council to approve this plan and immediately move to participate in the proposed joint committee to start the important work of identifying a long term plan to address the City’s fiscal problems,” Chemung County Deputy Executive Mike Krusen added.

This agreement also gives the Towns and Villages additional sales tax distributions of approximately $500,000 for both 2019 and 2020.

The Elmira City council must approve this agreement by October 16, 2018. This deadline is necessary so Chemung County can complete its 2019 budget, which will be released on November 8. 

If the City fails to pass the sales tax agreement extension, State law provides that the sales tax revenues that the county determines are available for distribution must be shared by the City, towns and villages based on population.  This requirement and subsequent calculations would result in an approximate $170,000 in loss sales tax revenues to the City.

KarenK    42

I don't know if it's just me, but I have been following this topic for quite some time and it's almost as if backpedalling is going on now.

KarenK    42
1 hour ago, KarenK said:

33 minutes ago, KReed said:

$1,300,000 million

Hahahaha.  One million three hundred thousand million.  lol

Randy    0

Hilarious. Just had a 17% tax increase. Still so bankrupt it can’t pay the county to provide its own people services! 8 years of job losses! Glad I’m in Texas now. Only place you’ll miss is Ithaca! I promise! Move out of New York! You won’t miss Democrat’s destroying your job, stealing your home, and taxing your payceck down to nothing!

Chris    520

Manys the time I've wondered why the hell we stay in New York. Especially when friends who have moved tell us how much cheaper it is in places across the country.