ElmiraTelegram

58th District Senate Candidate Kirchgessner Accused Of Domestic Abuse

Amanda Kirchgessner, the Democratic candidate running against Republican Tom O'Mara for the New York State Senatorial seat in the 58th district has been accused of domestic violence by her ex-wife according to an article in the Ithaca Times yesterday:

The first time Morgan said she recalled any direct violence was during an argument in late 2014, during which Morgan was on the stairs. Kirchgessner, standing at the top of the stairs, dislodged part of a dog-gate from its bolts and threw it at Morgan in anger. Morgan wasn’t seriously injured during the incident, and didn’t report it to the police. At the time, she said she did tell friends about that first appearance of physical abuse; the incident was corroborated both by a long-time friend of Morgan’s with whom she communicated daily, Emma Oster, and another person who wished to remain anonymous.

Another incident came shortly after that, though Morgan doesn’t remember what sparked this one either. The couple was in their home’s bedroom, when Kirchgessner cornered Morgan. As Morgan tells it, in a fit of anger Kirchgessner pushed her down and began trying to remove Morgan’s pants, meanwhile telling her she “wanted to choke [Morgan] to death.” When Morgan reacted fearfully, Kirchgessner stopped.

“I’m scared, we’re in the house and if I scream nobody’s going to hear me outside,” Morgan said of the incident. “I was terrified.”  

The rest of the article is available at https://www.ithaca.com/news/ithaca/state-senate-candidate-kirchgessner-accused-of-domestic-violence/article_008f87d6-c675-11e8-b1c8-73a197696eba.html

On her Facebook page, Kirchgessner released the following statement:

"On Tuesday, October 2nd, the Ithaca TIMES published a story that contained serious allegations concerning my character and past actions.

One is true. In 2011, I was arrested and later pled guilty to a DWI charge. Drinking and driving was a terrible mistake for which I make no excuses. The conviction is a matter of public record, and I have never attempted to hide it or the accident that my excessive drinking caused. I received counseling about my drinking habits which I tookto heart and which changed my life. I know the consequences of reckless and irresponsible drinking. In Albany, I will be a fierce champion of laws that curtail the lethal mix of driving while drunk or drugged.

The second allegation is false. While I was in an abusive marriage, I was not an abuser. I do not understand what compelled my former spouse to contact a reporter with such vicious and false charges. Our breakup was difficult and hurtful. I called 911 multiple times, and we both called 911 at the same time on one occasion. Police did visit our home. As the TIMES story indicates, no charges were ever made. I bear no ill will to Brandi Morgan, my former wife. I hope that she eventually finds some peace and moves on from a failed relationship that appears to still consume her.

Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 1.18.33 PM.png

I understand that Matt Butler, the reporter who wrote the story, felt compelled to rush it out to the public. I am, however, disappointed that he never contacted any of the eight individuals I suggested he contact, eight individuals among many in this community who can attest to the true history of my marriage and to my character. I will ask the TIMES to carry a long OPED by me describing in more detail the painful nature of my marriage and the emotional abuse I suffered. My fiancee, Stephanie, will also be issuing a statement within a day or so.

Past mistakes and events do not define me. I was able to move on from my DWI conviction and a failed abusive relationship. In the years since my conviction and the end of my marriage, I have channeled my passions into political activism and a demand for social change. Too many people in our society remained trapped in alcohol or drug abuse and remain in abusive relationships. My experiences, while personally painful, have made me who I am – someone who will speak for those who cannot."

Chris    525

What's staggering to me is seeing the posts of support for her from people with "#StopKavanaugh" or "I believe survivors" on their Facebook pages. 

Ann    118

It doesn’t fit the agenda. What’s the word I’m looking for.....?

KarenK    43

This kind of stuff blows my mind.  Reminds me of that #metoo actress who started the ball rolling against that big director and then was accused by a young actor of abuse herself.  It all just kind of got hushed up out there.

Ann    118
5 hours ago, Chris said:

Hypocrisy?

Yep, big time.  Are they so friggin blind they can’t see it?