Sign in to follow this  
ElmiraTelegram

West Elmira Police Seeking Pick Up Truck

The West Elmira Police Dept. is attempting to locate the white pickup truck pictured, possibly a four door or extended cab.

Screen Shot 2018-09-29 at 6.32.45 PM.png

The pickup was in the areaof W Water Street and Cobbles West on Friday at approximately noon. The operator was observed picking up a orange ladder, two ECHO hedge trimmers, and a cultivator from a yard area on West Water Street.

Anyone with information is asked to call 735-8600 and ask for the West Elmira Officer on duty. Police say alll calls will be confidential. 

2EC837    0

09/29/2018 23:20 HRS :

The owner of the white pickup truck has contacted the WEPD and the items have been returned. As a result of the location where the tools and ladder had been placed in regards to the roadway they had been considered possible scrap and thus collected. ALL items have been returned and the matter is closed. The WEPD would like to Thank all those who reposted the notice and also those whom had called in with information. Once again, the Residents working with the Police brought the matter to a successful conclusion. Thank You to all who became involved.

Chris    520

I can understand that happening. We put perfectly good items we no longer want by the roadside as well. I figure if someone wants it, it's theirs. 

KReed    213

I agree that it sounds like an honest mistake. Context matters.

"As a result of the location where the tools and ladder had been placed in regards to the roadway"

That's a little different than the original report that the items were taken "from a yard area"

Hal    146

Actually that was my first thought when this story broke ! When I see something interesting on the shoulder of the road but no “free “sign I keep going . But there are those that cruise some areas on garbage day and find some good stuff ! I am happy to see this end well as an honest mistake ... but it is better to check with the home owner if there is no indication it is there to be taken . 

5 hours ago, Chris said:

I can understand that happening. We put perfectly good items we no longer want by the roadside as well. I figure if someone wants it, it's theirs. 

Works well over here also !