Sign in to follow this  
ElmiraTelegram

Bicycle Sharing program Could Be Coming To Elmira

The City of Elmira, the Elmira-Chemung Transportation Council, and the Southern Tier Bicycle League are working with LimeBike, a dockless bike share program, on an official launch date for bike share in the City of Elmira. Limebike will provide the city with a to be determined number of bikes, connecting areas such as downtown Elmira, Elmira College, and other neighborhoods, as well as the Catherine Valley and Lackawanna Rail Trails.

“While in some cities, bike share is a recreational or tourism asset, I believe that in Elmira the availability of Limebikes will help to solve a transportation issue as well," said Director of the Elmira-Chemung Transportation Council and Commissioner of the Chemung County Planning Department, Nicolette Wagoner. "I’ve seen and heard first-hand the positive impacts that bike share can have on individuals and communities, and am confident that this partnership between the City and Lime will help to fill some of our mobility gaps."

Bikeshare programs serve as an equitable and affordable alternative form of transportation that help to increase overall mobility and healthier lifestyle choices while decreasing vehicular traffic. The dockless bicycles can be placed anywhere around the City and can be moved around as needed. Places for consideration include Elmira College, various points’ downtown, commercial areas and parks.  

Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 12.59.42 PM.png

Limebike currently operates dockless bike share programs in over 25 states as well as college campuses all across the US. Nearby, it operates the bike share programs in Ithaca, Watkins Glen, Trumansburg and Montour Falls. Limebike features pedal-assisted bikes with GPS capabilities, allowing users to locate nearby bikes through a free app. Limebike rentals will start around $1 and will offer a 50% off college discount and a decreased fare to low-income persons.

“Adding a bike share program to the City of Elmira will serve as both a community building and economic development opportunity. Limebike has a program that we feel will support the local community while also helping Elmira to grow and move into a new era.  Coupled with much of the development happening in downtown Elmira, this bike share program will support growth in an innovative way, such as increased tourism opportunities, while also supporting the community through specialized pricing for low-moderate income residents,” said City of Elmira Department of Community Development Director, Emma Miran.

To ride, users download the free LimeBike app, available in the App Store and Google Play. Those without smartphones may also unlock bikes using devices that offer text capabilities. For more information about LimeBike and its programs, visit https://www.li.me/

Learn more and see a Limebike in person at the public meeting on October 1, 2018 at 6:30pm, Community Arts of Elmira, 413 Lake Street, Elmira. 

Hal    146

Hmmm , decreased fare  for low income persons ... grow and move into a new era ... and this , specialized pricing for low - moderate income residents then this ... downloadable apps and those without smartphones ( sure , like the low income folks in Elmira don’t have smartphones ) can use devices with texting capabilities  ! Anyone want to play the long shot odds on this lasting past the first year . Meh , nothing to get excited about , same old same old . Unless these bikes are heavily , I mean heavily Insured there is no money to be made here  ! Nope not negativity on my part just being realistic ...

Edited by Hal

Mark    130

Elmira had a extensive program similar to this when I was a kid.  You would have a bike, then someone else would take it.  I think we called it "stealing" back then.

Hal    146
50 minutes ago, Mark said:

Elmira had a extensive program similar to this when I was a kid.  You would have a bike, then someone else would take it.  I think we called it "stealing" back then.

Yes ... they still have that program and it still will work the same way . Only difference , these bikes are odd shaped and will be difficult to sell at the second hand stores . But Mark my words more than a few of the local genius’s will repaint and attempt to pawn them !