Sign in to follow this  
ElmiraTelegram

Nixon Endorses Single Payer Health Care For New York

Former "Sex And The City" star and Democratic gubernatorial candidate Cynthia Nixon said recently she endorses a single payer health care system for New York State. 

“Health care should be a human right, not a privilege for those who can afford it,” Nixon said recently “When I'm governor, we'll pass the New York Health Act and create a single-payer, Medicare-for-all-system that covers every New Yorker.”

Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 9.23.20 AM.png

According to her website, Nixon states the New York Health Act would reduce overall health care spending by 15 percent ($45 billion per year). "Over 98% of New York households would spend less on health care than they spend now."

Although in what seems to be a play from Nancy Pelosi's playbook, Nixon admitted she wasn't sure how it would be funded. “Pass it and then figure out how to fund it,” Ms. Nixon said, according to the Washington Times. 

For his part, current New York State Governor also likes the idea. “If they were to pass it and it was not incongruous with what the federal government would do to us, I think it's a very exciting possibility," he said. 

Voters will have a chance to choose which Democratic candidate they prefer on Primary Day September 13th, with Governor Cuomo expected to win. 

Adam    5

Sorry Cynthia, but you do not have a right to another's labor...Healthcare is a finite resource that is in fact, much like education, a privilege, though i will say there are low hanging fruits ripe for picking to help make it more affordable.

Chris    479

There's definitely room for some overhaul in the system, no doubt. 

But she's still out of her mind.