ElmiraTelegram

City Reminds Residents Not To Post Signs On Utility Poles

In response to a "high volume" of signs posted for rummage sales, items for sale, lost pets, and upcoming city events, the City of Elmira sent out a reminder to residents that it is illegal to attach any postings to utility poles, trees, or public buildings in the City of Elmira. The City’s Ordinance states the following:

Sec. 14-71. - Posting notices on utility poles, trees or public buildings.

No person shall knowingly post or affix any notice, poster, or other paper or device calculated to attract the attention of the public, to any lamppost, public utility pole or shade tree, or upon any public structure or building, except as may be authorized or required by law.

The City asks for the public’s cooperation in this matter.

Chris    479

You know, as ridiculous as this may seem on the surface, I have to agree with them. 

We live on the corner and people post signs on the utility pole all the time. Most of the time they take them down, especially the big ones. But I've had to take down quite a few as well. 

The ones that annoy the hell out of me are the real estate, "High Speed Internet" and other signs people put in the ground on the corner. I have to pick those up all the time, and it get's pretty old. I should start saving the real estate ones and drop off a pile of moldy, faded signs all at once someday. 

Hal    142

I guess it’s a good thing lineman rarely climb those poles anymore ! Can you imagine your spikes cutting out and going for a slide down . Like scratching an itch with a porcupine ... YIKES ! 

KarenK    41

Does that include political signs?  Seems one of our current elected officials who has a primary coming up has the damn things attached to all the street signs.  Those are owned by the state I think.